William Stooke - marriage to Susannah Preece

  • Marilyn Boden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2014
    Hi everyone

    Breakthrough!

    Found William Stooke’s marriage to Susannah Preece. Date 21 May 1812. Place Walcot in Somerset.

    Source Somerset Marriages (post 1754), Somerset & Dorset Family History
  • Martin Beavis
    Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2014
    Whoops – I’m sorry!  That marriage, and, should have been included in my posting of 19 February – a whole paragraph of my draft didn’t get pasted into the final posting.  The Stooke-Preece marriage at St Swithen Trinity, Walcot, in the city of Bath is also recorded on FreeCEN, including names of witnesses but with no details of previous marital status, residence, father(s), occupation, etc.  And Susannah was baptised at Allerbury, near Shrewsbury, Shropshire  on 29 July 1787, daughter of Thomas Preece and Eliza Maria Glaze, who married at Shrewsbury in 1773.  The FMP record of Shropshire PRs has Eliza Maria.

    That Shropshire connection is strengthened by the Alberbury birth of the eldest child
    Thomas STOKES, Baptism 11 Apr 1813, Alberbury, Shropshire, father William Stokes, mother Susanna
    [Ancestry - England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975]
    whose younger siblings were all born in Clifton, Bristol.

    Several online trees, following different sub-branches of the same family, mistakenly replicate the alleged marriage of William Stooke and Susanna Cox in Hackney on 25 Dec 1837, but that is some 10 years after the birth of their 5th child in Bristol!  I'm wondering if "Cox" was someone's folk memory of "Cocks" as in the marriage witness Frances Cocks.  Might she have been a married sister of Susannah Preece?

    Martin

    Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2014 4:02 PM
    Subject: [stooke] William Stooke - marriage to Susannah Preece [1 Attachment]

    Hi everyone

    Breakthrough!

    Found William Stooke’s marriage to Susannah Preece. Date 21 May 1812. Place Walcot in Somerset.

    Source Somerset Marriages (post 1754), Somerset & Dorset Family History

    Keep searching!

    Mailyn
  • Steve Hayes
    Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2014
      On 6 Jun 2014 at 0:56, 'Martin Beavis' beavis.history@....u wrote:

      > Whoops – I’m sorry! That marriage, and, should have been included in my
      > posting of 19 February – a whole paragraph of my draft didn’t get pasted into
      > the final posting. The Stooke-Preece marriage at St Swithen Trinity, Walcot,
      > in the city of Bath is also recorded on FreeCEN, including names of witnesses
      > but with no details of previous marital status, residence, father(s),
      > occupation, etc. And Susannah was baptised at Allerbury, near Shrewsbury,
      > Shropshire on 29 July 1787, daughter of Thomas Preece and Eliza Maria Glaze,
      > who married at Shrewsbury in 1773. The FMP record of Shropshire PRs has Eliza
      > Maria.

      Thanks very muc for that -- it seems to tie up quite a lot of loose ends for
      the Bristol Stooke families!

      I presume that "FreeCEN" should have been FreeREG.

      With the addition of Thomas, I now have 7 children for William & Susanna:

      Thomas b. 1813
      Charles William b. 1815
      George b. 1817
      William b. 1820
      John b. 1823
      Susan b. 1825
      Emma b. 1827

      I assume that the Thomas baptised in Alberbury is the same Thomas who was
      listed in the 1851 Census as born at Westbury, Shropshire? Westbury is 3,2
      miles south of Alberbury.

      --
      Keep well,
      Steve Hayes