Stooke of Bovey Tracey, Lustleigh, Clyst St George and Topsham

  • Beavis Family History
    Message 1 of 12 , May 5, 2013
      Hello - I'm the new member, Martin Beavis, and I'm researching the Beavis family of Devonshire, with Stooke connections at Bovey Tracey, Lustleigh and Topsham.

      My 2xg-grandparents were John Beavis (born Aylesbeare 1830) and Louisa Stooke (born Clyst St George 1836) who raised a family in Topsham, including one son Joseph Stook Beavis (born 1864) with whom they lost contact and whom I'm trying to trace.

      Louisa was the daughter of William Stooke (born Lustleigh 1804) and Charlotte Drake (born Clyst St George 1809, descended from the Drake of Cruwys Morchard).
      Source: Private communication from one of the co-researchers of The Drake Family of Cruwys Morchard Devon at
      http://cmdrake.tribalpages.com/family-tree/cmdrake/307/467/William-Stooke-Family

      If anyone is interested in the Stooke-Drake descendants of Clyst St George and Topsham, I may be able to put you in contact with someone who has researched them more thoroughly than I have.

      William Stooke (born Lustleigh 1804) was the son of Joseph Stooke (born Bovey Tracey 1771) and Jane Crediford (born Lustleigh 1770).
      Source: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=gregramstedt&id=I3212&style=TEXT
      which offers an extensive pedigree for Crediford/Wilmeade but nothing for Stooke.

      The 1841 census finds Joseph (abt 70), Mary (abt 70) and William (abt 20) living in Stokeinteignhead, where Joseph was an Agricultural Labourer.
      Joseph was the son of another William Stooke and Mary.  That was probably Mary Harris, married Bovey Tracey 1757 because FamilySearch reports several children of William Stooke and Mary, christened at Bovey Tracey or Lustleigh between 1758 and 1778.

      I'm seeking information about that last William - where he came from and who his parents were.  FamilySearch has no earlier Stook(e) BMDs in Bovey or Lustleigh, but does have the births of John and William Stuke at Bovey Tracey in 1691 and 1698, both sons of a Francis Stuke, either of whom could be the grandfather of the William who was father of Joseph.  FamilySearch also has possible births of William Stooke in Paignton (1717) and Ashburton (1724) but those locations seem less likely.

      The pedigree in HayStook.pdf has alerted me to the Stooke of Trusham which I had previously neglected, mostly because FamilySearch is seriously deficient in Trusham and Ashton parish records.  I find no explicit link between the Stooke of Trusham and those of Bovey Tracey and Lustleigh, but Bovey Tracey is only a few miles from Trusham and Bovey Church benefits from one of the several charities established by John Stooke between 1785 and 1791.

      I became aware of the "Bag of Gold" story from several sources, including Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, volume IX (1917)
      http://archive.org/stream/devoncornwallnot09amer#page/58/mode/2up
      ... then past Preston's (now called Prisons), owned at that time by old John Stooke, the father of William, George, John, Edward and Thomas. The old man may have stood on the wall and seen the fugitive and his pursuers gallop past. ... the bag of gold was found by young John Stooke, son of the owner of Preston's Farm, including " Kiln Close." John Stooke was then 17 years old. Nothing more is known of him till as an old man he is described as "Clothier of Chudleigh," otherwise of Trusham, possessed of lands in Trusham, Ashton, Christow, Bovey and Hennock.

      That "old John Stooke" is person [4512] in HayStook.pdf.  His son Edward [4514] is the ancestor of Steve Hayes.  But any of the five named sons might have been ancestors of the Stooke of Bovey Tracey and Lustleigh.  The National Archives holds several interesting documents from Trusham Parish relating to John Stooke's various charities:
      http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=027-2014a2&cid=-1#-1
      including Trust Deed  2014 A-2/PF 6  1675  Contents:  Stooke's Charity:
      John Stooke, Trusham, clothier to Edward Stooke the elder (brother of John Stooke); Edward Stooke the younger (son of the said Edward Stooke); William Stooke the younger (son of William Stooke, brother of John Stooke); Gilbert Cuttiford the younger (son of Gilbert Cuttiford the elder), all of Trusham, and Augustine Symons and Thomas White of Ashton, yeomen.  Rentcharge of £5 per annum to be distributed in Bread and Wheat to poor parisioners of Trusham and Ashton at Christmas.

      These Edward are [4514, born 1631] and [4516, born 1656], but the deed names two William of the same generations, and I'm wondering if they might be ancestors of the aforementioned Stuke or Stooke of Bovey Tracey.

      Also of interest, the National Archives also hold Charity Commission documents mentioning five different Stooke charities in five different villages:
      http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=027-3761r&cid=-1#-1

      To get some idea of the early distribution of Stook, Stooke and Stuke I counted the Devon births on FamilySearch between 1700 and 1800 and found the greatest numbers in Tiverton (51), Exeter (32), Lustleigh and Bovey Tracey (14), West Teignmouth (14), Paignton (13), Ilsington (11), Widecombe (10) and Alphington (10), and fewer births elsewhere.  But the only places with continuity of births from the earliest years were Tiverton, Paignton and Widecombe.  As already mentioned there were no birth records for Trusham and Ashton, but lots of Trusham births are evident from census records.  That gives some indication of the potential scope of this Stooke Families group.

      I would, therefore, be very interested to hear if anyone has extended pedigrees of the different branches of Stooke in Bovey Tracey and Lustleigh, which might point towards the William that I am seeking.  My other family interests are the Topsham families of Beavis, Pulman and Pym, including that missing Joseph Stooke Beavis.

      That seems complicated enough for a first message.  Looking forward to hearing from anybody, any time.

      Regards - Martin
    • Steve Hayes
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 13, 2014
        On 5 May 2013 at 22:42, Beavis Family History wrote:

        > Hello - I'm the new member, Martin Beavis, and I'm researching the
        > Beavis family of Devonshire, with Stooke connections at Bovey Tracey,
        > Lustleigh and Topsham.

        Hi Martin, this introductory message seems to have got lost on my computer,
        so I'm only replying to it now.

        > My 2xg-grandparents were John Beavis (born Aylesbeare 1830) and Louisa
        > Stooke (born Clyst St George 1836) who raised a family in Topsham,
        > including one son Joseph Stook Beavis (born 1864) with whom they lost
        > contact and whom I'm trying to trace.

        > Louisa was the daughter of William Stooke (born Lustleigh 1804) and
        > Charlotte Drake (born Clyst St George 1809, descended from the Drake of
        > Cruwys Morchard).

        I don't seem to have much on that branch of Stookes. Is there any possibility wou could send me a Gedcom of what you have there that I could add to my Stooke "one name" database?

        > William Stooke (born Lustleigh 1804) was the son of Joseph Stooke (born
        > Bovey Tracey 1771) and Jane Crediford (born Lustleigh 1770).

        I have some Stookes in Bovey Tracey, but no Joseph.

        In the mean time, I have found this Possible Marriage
        Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
        Marriages Dec 1846 (>99%)
        Beavis William Chard 10 559
        Brown Samuel Chard 10 559
        Chick Sarah Chard 10 559
        Hebdon Emma Chard 10 559
        Hicks James Chard 10 559
        Mudford Samuel Chard 10 559
        Stooke Anne Chard 10 559

        of course there is only a 1 in 3 chance that William Beavis married Anne
        Stooke, and I'll try to follow it up, but I thought it might be of interest
        to you on both counts.

        --
        Steve Hayes
        E-mail: shayes@...
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 13, 2014
          On 13 Feb 2014 at 10:04, Steve Hayes wrote:

          > In the mean time, I have found this Possible Marriage
          > Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
          > Marriages Dec 1846 (>99%)
          > Beavis William Chard 10 559
          > Brown Samuel Chard 10 559
          > Chick Sarah Chard 10 559
          > Hebdon Emma Chard 10 559
          > Hicks James Chard 10 559
          > Mudford Samuel Chard 10 559
          > Stooke Anne Chard 10 559
          >
          > of course there is only a 1 in 3 chance that William Beavis married Anne
          > Stooke, and I'll try to follow it up, but I thought it might be of interest to
          > you on both counts.

          It didn't take me long to find that

          Anne Stooke married James Hicks
          and William Beavis married Sarah Chick.

          Apparently at St Bartholomewe, Crewkerne.

          --
          Keep well,
          Steve Hayes
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 14, 2014
            Hi Steve – thanks – very quick reply.

            Sounds like you have computer problems like me too.  Something our rural forebears didn't have to worry about - no databases either - much of their family history was right there on the gravestones.

            Perhaps your e-mail did not recognize me when I inadvertently used a different address from that which I had registered with.  Which is the best address to use for reaching you - hayesstw@... or shayes@... ?

            Right now I have information overload about Stooke – not complaining but going in too many directions at once!

            I’m ashamed to admit I don’t yet have a Gedcom for the Bovey Tracey/Lustleigh family, mainly because I’m not certain of all the relationships - work in progress - but I do expect there must be a connection to Ashton/Trusham, either as a sub-branch or a parallel branch from a common source.  But I will get back about that when I’ve done with all the other towns you have mentioned.

            You wrote
            > It didn't take me long to find that
            > Anne Stooke married James Hicks [at Chaffcombe]
            > and William Beavis married Sarah Chick at Crewkerne

            Ah! -  FreeReg – Might that be the Anne Stooke, bapt Chaffcombe, 6 June 1827, dau Edward & Sarah Stooke ?  And yes, there were other Beavis marriages around Crewkerne and Cricket St Thomas, but I also noticed that a John Beavis witnessed a Smalbridge-Newbury marriage at Chaffcombe in 1790.  There were several Beavis/Beviss around the tri-point of the Devon/Somerset /Dorset borders – I lived there for many years but wasn’t one of them.

            It was only yesterday that FreeREG provided a breakthrough with the hotel and inn keepers of Bristol - storyline to follow soon.

            Changing the subject - I thought the Yahoo group was only accessible to members who signed in but when I googled "William Stooke" and "Dawlish" I got several hits, including your own postings on RootsWeb and Wordpress, but also a link to "Topics - Yahoo Groups" at groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/stooke/conversations/topics, which took me straight into the Conversations thread where I could read all our messages without signing in.  Does that lax security apply to all Yahoo groups?  Not that it should discourage us from posting – might well attract new members with new info.

            Regards - Martin Beavis
            .

          • Steve Hayes
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 17, 2014
              On 14 Feb 2014 at 23:39, beavis.history wrote:

              > Hi Steve – thanks – very quick reply.
              >
              > Sounds like you have computer problems like me too. Something our rural
              > forebears didn't have to worry about - no databases either - much of their
              > family history was right there on the gravestones.

              I've been having internet connection problems (still waiting for phone line
              to be relaired after a week), but also my mail reader seems to insist on
              putting your posts in the "Junk Mail" folder, in spite of my adding your
              address to the "white list". Perhaps it doesn't like the charater set with
              the "–" thingies in it.

              > Perhaps your e-mail did not recognize me when I inadvertently used a different
              > address from that which I had registered with. Which is the best address to
              > use for reaching you - hayesstw@... or shayes@... ?

              The latter is permanent, but both come to the smae place. .

              > Right now I have information overload about Stooke – not complaining but
              > going in too many directions at once!
              >
              > I’m ashamed to admit I don’t yet have a Gedcom for the Bovey
              > Tracey/Lustleigh family, mainly because I’m not certain of all the
              > relationships - work in progress - but I do expect there must be a connection
              > to Ashton/Trusham, either as a sub-branch or a parallel branch from a common
              > source. But I will get back about that when I’ve done with all the other
              > towns you have mentioned.
              >
              > You wrote
              > > It didn't take me long to find that
              > > Anne Stooke married James Hicks [at Chaffcombe]
              > > and William Beavis married Sarah Chick at Crewkerne
              >
              > Ah! - FreeReg – Might that be the Anne Stooke, bapt Chaffcombe, 6 June
              > 1827, dau Edward & Sarah Stooke ? And yes, there were other Beavis marriages
              > around Crewkerne and Cricket St Thomas, but I also noticed that a John Beavis
              > witnessed a Smalbridge-Newbury marriage at Chaffcombe in 1790. There were
              > several Beavis/Beviss around the tri-point of the Devon/Somerset /Dorset
              > borders – I lived there for many years but wasn’t one of them.

              Yes, it is -- trouble is that a whole bunch of Stooke kids were baptised on
              the same day, so it's not possible to get even a rough idea of their birth
              dates from the baptism dates.

              > It was only yesterday that FreeREG provided a breakthrough with the hotel and
              > inn keepers of Bristol - storyline to follow soon.
              >
              > Changing the subject - I thought the Yahoo group was only accessible to
              > members who signed in but when I googled "William Stooke" and "Dawlish" I got
              > several hits, including your own postings on RootsWeb and Wordpress, but also
              > a link to "Topics - Yahoo Groups" at
              > groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/stooke/conversations/topics, which took me
              > straight into the Conversations thread where I could read all our messages
              > without signing in. Does that lax security apply to all Yahoo groups? Not
              > that it should discourage us from posting – might well attract new members
              > with new info.

              Yes, it is possible to see postings, but only members may reply to them.

              --
              Steve Hayes
              E-mail: shayes@...
              Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
              Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
              Fax: 086-548-2525
            • Kathy Riley
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 18, 2014
                I have traced my Stooke links to:

                Charles William Stooke1 was born on 1 October 1815 in Clifton, Gloucester, England.

                Charles died in 1897 in London, England.

                On 21 May 1840 he married Mary Florence Richards in England. She was born about 1813 in

                Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.

                The son of Charles William Stooke, William Henry Stooke, migrated to America.  William Henry's son was Charles W. Stooke, my grandfather.  And my father was Charles Wesley Stooke.

                Can anybody help me take my ancestry farther back into my English roots or give me more background about who Charles William Stooke was?

                Thanks and regards,

                Kathryn Stooke Riley
                (an American cousin)

                To: stooke@yahoogroups.com
                From: hayesstw@...
                Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:24:12 +0200
                Subject: Re: [stooke] Stooke-Beavis links

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 19, 2014
                  Hello Kathy and welcome!

                  Thank you for telling us about your Bristol-born Charles William Stooke who we had not previously encountered but a little research reveals him to be the second son of the Bristol hotel keeper William Stooke who has already been discussed within this group - but be aware that my previous posting about him was incomplete and will soon be updated.

                  In the meantime, I think this is what you are looking for ...

                  ANCESTRY - England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
                  Name:     Charles Stokes
                  Christening Date:     1 Oct 1815     Christening Place:     Clifton, Gloucestershire, England
                  Father's Name:     William Stokes   Mother's name:     Susan
                  STOOKE mistranscribed as STOKES, Susan also known elsewhere as Susanna(h), born Preece in Shrewsbury.

                  I do not find any reliable record that Charles’ wife Mary Richards had the middle name Florence, but I do find just Mary Richards in three baptismal records:

                  Shropshire Parish Records, Atcham BAPTISMS
                  June 28 1812 . Mary, d. of John & Maria Richards, of Chilton

                  FamilySearch  England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
                  Mary Richards  christening 28 June 1812, Atcham, Shropshire, England, father John Richards, mother Maria

                  Ancestry  Shropshire, England, Extracted Parish Records
                  28 Jun 1812 Mary, d. of John & Maria Richards, of Chilton.
                  Baptisms  Shropshire: Leighton, Atcham - Parish Registers, Lichfield Diocese

                  Interesting that Mary Richards was born near Shrewsbury, as was her mother-in-law Susanna Preece.  Possibly a marriage of cousins?  But no time to chase that now.

                  Health warning: The name Mary Florence Richards appears in several Ancestry user-submitted family trees, only once with a specific birth/baptismal date and always unsourced, so probably one person's error has been copied and pasted.  Some of those trees also have the hotel-keeping father William Stooke married to the wrong Susanna Cox.

                  ---------------

                  Charles William STOOKE left the family home in Bristol and moved to London, so let’s follow him and some of his family

                  Ancestry: London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921
                  Name:     Charles Stooke   [Accountant]
                  Spouse Name:     Mary Richards
                  Record Type:     Marriage
                  Event Date:     21 May 1840
                  Parish:     Limehouse St Anne
                  Borough:     Tower Hamlets
                  Father Name: William Stooke [Hotel keeper]
                  Spouse Father: John Richards [dead]
                  Register Type: Parish Register
                  Witnesses George Stooke [brother], Charles ????
                  Married by License
                  Two of Charles' brothers, William Jr and George, were also Accountants in Bristol (before William Jr  took over William Sr's hotel).

                  Ancestry 1841 census: Charles William and Mary Stooke living in Hackney, London, with three children:
                  Charles Stook     30
                  Mary Stook     30
                  James Stook     11
                  Mary Stook     3
                  Charles Stook     10 months
                  The actual census image is too faint to read.  The family name was transcribed as STOOK but someone has anonymously "corrected" that to STOCK.  Adult ages were rounded down in 1841 to the nearest multiple of 5 so age "30" is not reliable.

                  FreeBMD
                  Births Q2 1841   Stooke     Charles Preece    Stepney
                  Preece was his grandmother's maiden name
                  Births Q2 1843   Stooke     William Henry     Stepney
                  Births Q3 1845   Stooke     George Edward     Stepney

                  Ancestry 1851 census: Charles William and Mary Stooke and family living in Stepney, London
                  Charles Stocke 35 Clerk to Mercantile firm, born Clifton, Bristol
                  Mary Stocke     38 born Chilton(?), Shrewsbury
                  Charles Paul Stocke     10
                  William Henry Stocke     8
                  George Edward Stocke     6
                  Arthur Stocke     4
                  Frederick Stocke     1
                  Mary Daskal     17 Servant
                  Transcribed as STOCKE but image looks more like STOOKE
                  Obviously Preece, not Paul
                  Chilton, hamlet in parish of Atcham

                  Ancestry 1861: Bow St Mary, London
                  Charles Stooke 45 Census clerk, born Clifton, Bristol
                  Mary Stooke     48 born Chilton(?), Shrewsbury
                  Chas P Stooke     19 Clerk Bank of England, born London
                  Arthur Stooke     13
                  Fredk Stooke     11
                  Mary Ann Brich 19 Servant

                  FreeBMD  Marriages Q4 1865  Hackney  STOOKE Charles Preece & CORNEY Elizabeth Thirza

                  Ancestry 1871: Stratford le Bow, London
                  Charles Stooke 55 Clerk to East India Merchant, born Clifton, Glos
                  Mary Stooke     58 born Chilton, Salop
                  Elizabeth S Springall 19 Servant

                  Ancestry 1881: Deptford St Paul, London
                  Charles P. Stooke     39 head, Clerk Bank of England, born Limehouse, London
                  Elizabeth Stooke     41 wife, born Whitechapel, London
                  Herbert S. Stooke     13
                  Anne M. Stooke     11
                  Charles Stooke 65 Clerk
                  Mary Stooke     68
                  Mary A. Thwaites 18 Servant

                  FreeBMD  Deaths Q2 1889   Stooke  Charles Preece  48  Greenwich
                  Died quite young, before both of his parents
                  FreeBMD  Deaths Q4 1890   Stooke  Mary    77  Greenwich  (the mother)

                  Ancestry 1891: Deptford St Paul, London
                  Charles Stooke     75 head, widr, R[etired] Clerk to East India Merchants, born Clifton, Bristol
                  Frederick Stooke     41 son, Drapery Manager at a Stores, born Stepney, London
                  Florence E Phillips 18 Servant

                  FreeBMD  Deaths Q2 1897  Stooke  Charles  81     Greenwich  (the father)

                  ---------------

                  That seems an appropriate point at which to draw a line below the London family.  I did not pursue the two brothers William Henry and George Edward beyond the 1851 census, but did stumble upon both in North America, so you might like to view some of those Ancestry trees I mentioned earlier.  One of them (Alison Lee SPOONER, Owner: sherrioliver1) has the marriage of William Henry Stooke to Hannah Maria Wheeler in Hackney, London, in 1870, his death in Dallas ca 1882, and hers in Victoria, BC, Canada in 1928, plus various descendants born Victoria or Tennessee.  Another trees (Webb Family Tree, Owner: lkb1068b) has descendants of George Edward Stooke who also emigrated to the US and settled in Tennessee, so perhaps the two brothers emigrated there together.  And there are details of UK descendants.  If you don't have access to Ancestry at home or public library, you can reach those same trees by searching for Mary Florence Richards on Mundia - not the most user-friendly interface but it's free.  But, as always, do be cautious of unsourced records!

                  The rest, as they say, is history, which you presumably know all about.  There is, of course, always pre-history, which is why we are researching the origins of William Stooke, the hotel keeper, but that will be another posting.

                  Thanks for giving me an engrossing afternoon!

                  Kind regards
                  Martin Beavis

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 19, 2014
                    Hellio Martin,

                    Thank you for the research and information.  It is interesting that the three brothers were all accountants.  My father was an accountant as well.  And when his father died in the influenza epidemic in 1917, his wife, my grandmother, worked as a book keeper in order to raise my father (only 2 at the time) and his two sisters.  I guess the number genes got passed on.  I wish I had been more interested in genealogy in the past as I had several business trips to Bristol while working for Hewlett Packard.

                    I will pass this information on to my sister who will be quite interested as well.  We are aware of the Canadian branch of the family and of the Tennessee links.  My grandfather was born in Tennessee but died in San Diego, CA.

                    Thank you so much,

                    Kathryn Stooke Riley
                    Palo Alto, CA

                    From: beavis.history@...
                    To: stooke@yahoogroups.com; hayesstw@...; ksr94306@...
                    Subject: Charles WilliamStooke et al
                    Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:22:58 +0000

                    Hello Kathy and welcome!

                    Thank you for telling us about your Bristol-born Charles Williaa m Stooke who we had not previously encountered but a little research reveals him to be the second son of the Bristol hotel keeper William Stooke who has already been discussed within this group - but be aware that my previous posting about him was incomplete and will soon be updated.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 19, 2014
                      On 18 Feb 2014 at 5:31, Kathy Riley wrote:

                      > I have traced my Stooke links to: Charles William Stooke1 was born on 1
                      > October 1815 in Clifton, Gloucester, England. Charles died in 1897 in London,
                      > England.
                      > On 21 May 1840 he married Mary Florence Richards in England. She was born
                      > about 1813 in
                      > Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.

                      Yes, there are a bunch of Stooke families from Bristol looking for
                      connections, and that is one of them!

                      > The son of Charles William Stooke, William Henry Stooke, migrated to America.
                      > William Henry's son was Charles W. Stooke, my grandfather. And my father was
                      > Charles Wesley Stooke.

                      In my records I have William Henry Stooke marrying Hannah Maria Wheeler, and
                      some of the children seem to have changed the surname to Wheeler. Do you know
                      about that, or the reason for it?

                      > Can anybody help me take my ancestry farther back into my English roots or
                      > give me more background about who Charles William Stooke was?

                      I have five children for Charles William Stooke and Mary Florence Richards. I
                      could send you (off list) a GEDCOM of what I have on them and their
                      descendants.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 22, 2014
                        On 19 Feb 2014 at 20:22, beavis.history wrote:

                        > Thank you for telling us about your Bristol-born Charles William Stooke who we
                        > had not previously encountered but a little research reveals him to be the
                        > second son of the Bristol hotel keeper William Stooke who has already been
                        > discussed within this group - but be aware that my previous posting about him
                        > was incomplete and will soon be updated.

                        I have him, 5 sons and several descendants. Will send to Kathy off list iff
                        requested, and will upload to the web site as soon as I phone line is
                        repaired and I have reliable internet access again.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 22, 2014
                          RE: "In my records I have William Henry Stooke marrying Hannah Maria Wheeler, and
                          some of the children seem to have changed the surname to Wheeler. Do you know
                          about that, or the reason for it?"  (from Steve Hayes)

                          No, we have no record of any children of William Henry and Hannah Maria Wheeler changing their names to Wheeler.  The two girls married and took their husbands' names.  Samuel George Stooke, brother of my grandfather, Charles W. Stooke, was in real estate in San Diego with my grandfather.  After Charles died in 1917 in the influenza epidemic, Samuel George, cheated my grandmother, now a widow with 3 small children, out of her husbands half of the real estate business. There was a family rift that was never mended.

                           When I asked my sister what William Henry did for a living after coming to America, this was her reply:

                          I know at least before his death he was a shoe salesman.  And while crossing a lake he drank some water which killed him.  His wife was left with 5 children.  I don’t know how soon after the 2 year old, the youngest, fell down a well and died.  The wife heard you could sleep out under the stars in California and moved the family West.  She had a store.  I’m  not sure exactly what kind, but it had to do with sewing.  There was a picture dated 1885 San Jose and years ago I found the house that was in the picture.  It was in the San Jose University area of old town.  It is now gone and new structures have been built there.

                          (The reference to San Jose would be San Jose, California just south of San Francisco.)

                          To: stooke@yahoogroups.com
                          From: hayesstw@...
                          Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 02:38:44 +0200
                          Subject: RE: [stooke] Stooke-Wheeler links

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 24, 2014
                            On 19 Feb 2014 at 20:22, beavis.history wrote:

                            > ANCESTRY - England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
                            > Name: Charles Stokes
                            > Christening Date: 1 Oct 1815 Christening Place: Clifton,
                            > Gloucestershire, England Father's Name: William Stokes Mother's
                            > name: Susan STOOKE mistranscribed as STOKES, Susan also known
                            > elsewhere as Susanna(h), born Preece in Shrewsbury.

                            Thanks very much for that -- I had him in my records, but did not have him
                            among the children of William and Susan(na).

                            I had also looked in vain for Susan(na)'s maiden name, and for a record of
                            their marriage.

                            I think there is now enough evidence to at least provisionally link William
                            Stooke of Clifton to William the son of Edward Stooke and Mary Best of
                            Dawlish, so I will send you and Kathy the material I have on those offlist
                            (one is not really supposed to send attachments to the list).

                            I'm still looking for evidence to show whether Edward and James Stooke of
                            Dawlish were the children of Edward Stooke and Elizabeth Dingley of Trusham.
                            They are the only ones I know of who had an Edward and James of the right
                            ages, and even that is pretty sketchy, though several of James's descendants
                            show that link in their trees.

                            Family Group Report
                            For: Edward Stooke (ID= 4612)
                            Date Prepared: 25 Feb 2014

                            NAME: STOOKE, Edward, Born ??? 1701?, Died 8 Jun 1752? in
                            Trusham, Devon, ENG at age 51; FATHER: STOOKE, Edward, Born
                            ??? 1656, Died ??? 1727 at age 71; MOTHER: Mary, Died 10 Oct
                            1729

                            MARRIED 5 Nov 1730 in Trusham, Devon, to DINGLEY, Elizabeth,
                            Died Apr 1748 in Trusham

                            CHILDREN:
                            1. M STOOKE, John, born Mar 1730?, died ???
                            2. M STOOKE, Edward, born Jan 1732?, died ???
                            3. M STOOKE, William, born Nov 1735?, died ???
                            4. F STOOKE, Elizabeth, born Apr 1739?, died ???
                            5. M STOOKE, James, born Jun 1742? in Trusham, died ???;
                            Married 28 Oct 1771 to BARJERON, Mary; 3 children
                            6. F STOOKE, Grace, born 9 Jun 1745, died ???

                            .