66(Fwd) Re: [DEV] STOOKE family in Dawlish

  • Steve Hayes
    Jun 13, 2014
      This was sent to me on the Devon mailing list this morning.

      From: "Chris Whitehead" <chris@...>
      To: <shayes@...>,
      <devon@...>
      Subject: Re: [DEV] STOOKE family in Dawlish
      Date sent: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 08:44:47 +0100

      I was in the DRO yesterday & had some time to spare, so looked up some of
      Stookes events in Dawlish

      Marriages:
      28th Oct 1771 James Stooke of Dawlish, Woolcomber married Mary Bargeron
      of
      this parish
      after banns on 6th,13th & 20th Oct.

      18th Jan 1790 John Stocke witnessed the marriage of Thomas Gale to
      Elizabeth Gale

      & slightly after your timeframe
      5th Apr 1791 George Stooke witnessed the marriage of William Bond to Ann
      Gilpin 31st Jul 1791 George Stooke witnessed the marriage of William Spear
      to Sarah Mole 9th Jul 1794 Thomas Stooke witnessed the marriage of John
      Baker to Elizabeth Hunt 29th Jul 1800 James Cook of this parish married
      Grace Stooke of this parish spinster
      after banns on 22nd & 29th Jun & 6th Jul.
      (The clerk mucked this one up. He started writing it on one page with
      a date of 2nd July,
      realised his mistake half way through, and had to enter it in the

      Baptisms 1780-1790
      William son Edward & Mary Stook born 5th Sep 1782 bap 22nd Sep
      1782 Henry son Richard & Ann Stokes born 23rd Aug 1783 bap 20th
      Sep 1783 John son James & Mary Stookes born 16th Nov 1784 bap 5th
      Dec 1784 John son Elizabeth Stooke born 8th Dec 1784 bap 9th Jan
      1785 "a base child" Grace dau Edward & Mary Stooke born 24th May
      1785
      bap 12th Jun 1785 William son James & Mary Stooke born 10th Apr
      1787 bap 29th Apr 1787 Susanna dau James & Mary Stooke born 30th
      Aug 1788 bap 14th Sep 1788

      Devon parish registers at the DRO were filmed last year by FindMyPast, who
      have started indexing them & uploading the indexes & images to their site.

      Chris