25Re: [stooke] Stooke of Bovey Tracey, Lustleigh, Clyst St George and Topsham

  • Steve Hayes
    Feb 13, 2014
      On 5 May 2013 at 22:42, Beavis Family History wrote:

      > Hello - I'm the new member, Martin Beavis, and I'm researching the
      > Beavis family of Devonshire, with Stooke connections at Bovey Tracey,
      > Lustleigh and Topsham.

      Hi Martin, this introductory message seems to have got lost on my computer,
      so I'm only replying to it now.

      > My 2xg-grandparents were John Beavis (born Aylesbeare 1830) and Louisa
      > Stooke (born Clyst St George 1836) who raised a family in Topsham,
      > including one son Joseph Stook Beavis (born 1864) with whom they lost
      > contact and whom I'm trying to trace.

      > Louisa was the daughter of William Stooke (born Lustleigh 1804) and
      > Charlotte Drake (born Clyst St George 1809, descended from the Drake of
      > Cruwys Morchard).

      I don't seem to have much on that branch of Stookes. Is there any possibility wou could send me a Gedcom of what you have there that I could add to my Stooke "one name" database?

      > William Stooke (born Lustleigh 1804) was the son of Joseph Stooke (born
      > Bovey Tracey 1771) and Jane Crediford (born Lustleigh 1770).

      I have some Stookes in Bovey Tracey, but no Joseph.

      In the mean time, I have found this Possible Marriage
      Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
      Marriages Dec 1846 (>99%)
      Beavis William Chard 10 559
      Brown Samuel Chard 10 559
      Chick Sarah Chard 10 559
      Hebdon Emma Chard 10 559
      Hicks James Chard 10 559
      Mudford Samuel Chard 10 559
      Stooke Anne Chard 10 559

      of course there is only a 1 in 3 chance that William Beavis married Anne
      Stooke, and I'll try to follow it up, but I thought it might be of interest
      to you on both counts.

      --
      Steve Hayes
      E-mail: shayes@...