22Re: STOOKE family in Dorset

  • Steve Hayes
    Feb 6, 2014
      On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 20:51:43 -0000, "Steven Gibbs"
      <stevenng4@...> wrote:

      >"Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote in message
      >> According to FamilySearch, the following person appears on the 1861 census
      >> in
      >> Dorset
      >>
      >> Name: William J Stooke
      >> Event Type: Census
      >> Event Date: 1861
      >> Gender: Male
      >> Age: 4
      >>
      >> But according to the Ancestry index, there are none. Did the Ancestry
      >> leave out Dorset?
      >
      >Transcribed as STOCKE.

      I tried to follow this one up a bit more.

      He was indeed in the 1861 census (mistranscribed in the Ancestry index),
      though he does not appear to be recorded in FreeBMD.

      One sibling, Alfred George, seems to have been born and died in 1859, just
      before the census.

      Another, George Edmund Allen Stooke, is recorded in both FreeBMD and in the
      1861 census.

      The father, Edmund Stooke, died in 1873 (according to FreeBMD) in the Weymouth
      Registration district (which includes Wyke Regis), and the family then
      disappears.

      There appears to be no record of them in the 1871 census, even though the
      father, at least, seems to have been alive and probably living in Dorset at
      the time. And no record in FreeBMD of the marriages or deaths of the others,
      not even of the widowed mother.

      --
      Steve Hayes
      Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/