Re: [Stonehaven] Surname Origin

  • davies2mof@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2005
      Liz,

      There is a place called Broughton near to Peebles,
      about 25 miles south of Edinburgh. John of Gaunt
      is a character in one of Shakespeare's historical
      plays.

      Ian

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2005
        Liz

        There is a Thigpen family forum at:

        http://genforum.genealogy.com/thigpen

        They should be able to help you.

        Ian

        I am a new member looking for help to determine
        if the following surnames have a Scottish origin.
        Arrant, Broughton, Gaunt and Thigpen are the
        surnames I need help with. I have not seen these
        names mentioned here within the files, links, or
        database, so I doubt there is a Scottish connection.
        I ask for advice as to where I should go to
        research this further.

        Thank you,
        Liz
      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2005
          Hi Liz,

          I've looked up the Oxford Surnames

          Arrant: not there
          Broughton: English [from many placenames]
          Gaunt: English
          ---[From a) Ghent in , or
          ---(b) gaunt appearance, or
          ---(c) Gant (glove) - French