WEEKLY UPDATE – NOVEMBER 27, 2005

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2005
      ------------ STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY ------------

      ----- WEEKLY UPDATE – NOVEMBER 27, 2005 ------

      LONGSIDE, ABERDEENSHIRE

      The village of Longside (originally called Peterugie)
      grew along the edge of the floodplain of the South
      Ugie Water. Historical reference to farms in the area
      appears in a 1544 report of a list of the lands
      belonging to the Abbey of Deer. Building leases were
      granted by the Laird of Pitfour in 1801, although the
      parish of Longside was formed much earlier, in 1641,
      the old church having been built in 1620. The name
      was derived from the farm on which the church was
      built, and it is suggested comes from the Gaelic lon:
      a moss, marsh or meadow.

      The principal industry has always been agriculture, mostly mixed
      farming, with wooded areas and peat moss. A woollen factory was
      situated at Millbank, but ceased production in 1828. Grey granite was
      quarried extensively in the past at Cairngall, and transported by
      rail to many parts of the country, being particularly attractive when
      polished. The railway, opened in 1862, linked the village with
      Peterhead, Maud and Aberdeen, thence to the markets of the south. It
      was closed in 1952.

      The Longside Fair, held twice a year in November and May, was the
      most important "feeing" fair in the area: farm servants offered
      themselves for hire for the subsequent six months. The place-
      name "Markethill" commemorates the area covered by the fair which
      continued until the 1930s.

      BOOK REVIEW

      WHALEHUNTERS: DUNDEE AND THE GREENLAND WHALERS
      by Malcolm Archibald

      The smell of boiling blubber has long since gone, but the days of
      hard-working, hard-drinking Greenlandmen are recaptured vividly in
      Malcolm Archibald's Whalehunters: Dundee And The Greenland Whalers.

      Whaling is described with gritty realism; loss of lives and boats was
      heavy, with no guarantee of returning with a full cargo. Carrying a
      medical man was obligatory and in 1880 it was Arthur Conan Doyle,
      then a student in Edinburgh, who sailed in that capacity for a seven-
      month voyage aboard the Hope.

      One trip was enough. He was to describe whalehunting as "brutal".
      Even with quarry sighted, harpooning and killing whales 20 metres
      long, 70 tons in weight, could take more than 24 hours and the grim
      task of flensing would justify Conan Doyle's reaction. Long poles
      with great blades would slice the two-metre-thick blubber, the men
      wearing spurs to avoid slipping.

      The author covers his subject in detail, from the origins of whaling
      to the hospitality of Inuits, from songs, superstitions and religion,
      to character sketches of men who braved the Arctic for most of their
      working lives.

      Who could blame the men for over-indulgence in the liquor shops?
      Often drunk when signing on, some didn't even make it aboard and
      ships had to recruit in Shetland before heading north.

      Charles Yule, who captained the "Esquimeaux", was an exception. He
      became Dundee's Harbourmaster in 1883 and held that position until
      1920.

      When demand for whale oil and whalebone diminished, these mammals
      were still slaughtered by Norwegians, minced and used in margarine. A
      British ship made its last kill in 1963.

      Crew lists for whaling ships sailing from Dundee in the early 1800s
      are given in full and may well fill gaps for genealogists. Source
      lists are comprehensive, the bibliography extensive.

      One illustration shows the signpost for East Whale Lane, which the
      author tells us is now a car park, though it's actually the parallel
      West Whale Lane which is under tarmac.

      An eminently readable book which will be a valuable reference source.

      Publisher: Mercat Press - ISBN: 1-84183-065-8 - Price: £12.99 -
      Website: http://www.mercatpress.com

      LETTER TO THE MODERATOR

      We have received this following email from a production
      company who are looking for stories from people who have
      traced their 'aristocratic' or royal family lines. You may
      have come across members of your family that are linked
      with royalty on our site or on The Burke's Peerage site
      which we are partnered with. Please see the email below
      for full details.

      Thanks,
      Jane Hewitt
      jane@...

      ********************

      Shine Limited, a TV production company, are looking for people who
      think they may have a royal or aristocratic connection in their
      family tree. They want to take seven families on a journey through
      their family tree to find out if there is a connection and find out
      about other interesting people along the way. With their two
      presenters, a historian and a genealogist they want to bring your
      family's history to life.

      It may be purely a story that has been in your family for years or you
      may have started to look into it.

      Maybe you are related to the Bowes-Lyon family, the Parker-Bowles or
      the Fergussons?

      Maybe you are descended from a royal mistress?

      Mybe you are related to Grace Kelly or the French royal family
      directly?

      If you have any royal stories from the past 300 years please contact
      us and we will be able to pass on your details.

      Many thanks,

      Jane Hewitt
      Origins Network
      www.originsnetwork.com
      email: jane@...

      ***********

      If you would like to share a little bit of your families history or
      tell a story that has to do with Scotland or it's people, please feel
      free to email me your letter today and I will be more than happy to
      post it in a future edition of the WEEKLY UPDATE. Please be sure to
      type "LETTER TO THE MODERATOR" in the subject line of your email so
      that it makes it easier for me to separate from the rest of my
      emails. "THANKS"!

      Jim Allan
      thistleinn@...

      A request has been made by a member that I follow up on a POLL that I
      posted back on May of 2004. In that POLL I was trying to determine
      what the average age of the membership of this group was. This is a
      totally for fun POLL and no one in the Group (including me) will know
      which age group you select, so please take a moment now to take
      part, "THANKS"! Jim Allan - Moderator.......

      QUESTION: Which Age Group Do You Belong To?
      19 & under
      20 – 29
      30 – 39
      40 – 49
      50 – 59
      60 – 69
      70 – 79
      80 – 89
      90 & over

      PS: If you have a good idea for a future POLL, please be sure to
      contact Diana Mackie at her email address listed below and let her
      know about it. With your help, we can hopefully have a POLL every
      month of the year.

      SCOTTISH TRIVIA – DID YOU KNOW?

      Contrary to popular belief haggis was enjoyed in England as well as
      Scotland up until the end of the 18th century, and only acquired its
      particular Scottish identity from the Robert Burns poem 'To a
      Haggis'.

      CHEERS from your Stonehaven Genealogy Committee

      Head Moderator - Jim Allan thistleinn@...
      Assistant Editor - Gord Haddow gordhaddow@...
      Reporter – Darrell Herd darrell_herd@...
      Reporter - Susanne Paradis svparadis@...