Re: [stoics] Is Stoicism Just a Load of Bunk?

  • David Nicholls
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2005
      Steve, this is the point I was getting at in my question a couple of
      weeks ago about commitment (perhaps better to say attachment) to dogma
      (perhaps better to say speculation), to which you replied very fairly
      and helpfully. You also subsequently made the interesting point about
      different paths for different individuals by reference to the yoga
      tradition. This may also be valid I think for the same individual at
      different stages in his or her spiritual journey. Just now for me
      personally anything that has the "look and feel" of religiosity or
      fideism is problematic, but I accept entirely that this reaction may
      be based on what I may later regard as misunderstandings.
      Best wishes
      David Nicholls

      > We need to get off this high horse of being right (a general
      > comment not directed at Cecil :)) and get on with living right.

    • Steve & Oxsana Marquis
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2005
        David wrote:

        > Steve, this is the point I was getting at in my question a couple of
        > weeks ago about commitment (perhaps better to say attachment) to dogma
        > (perhaps better to say speculation), to which you replied very fairly
        > and helpfully. You also subsequently made the interesting point about
        > different paths for different individuals by reference to the yoga
        > tradition. This may also be valid I think for the same individual at
        > different stages in his or her spiritual journey. Just now for me
        > personally anything that has the "look and feel" of religiosity or
        > fideism is problematic, but I accept entirely that this reaction may
        > be based on what I may later regard as misunderstandings.
        > Best wishes
        > David Nicholls

        Certainly David. The way a friend of mine put it: Don't concern yourself
        with spirituality right now. Get you psychology straightened out first.
        This seems to fit your case.