Re: [stoics] Social Convention & Cynicism

  • Regis Alain Barbier
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 1 5:52 AM

      [H]owever it is not inconceivable to assume that a consciousness could be ‘inspired’ and choose to ‘create’ a whole new line of causes and effects, so becoming the ‘first cause’ to that line’. Quoting Nigel

      Hi Nigel;

      IMO, If stoicism is a non dualistic philosophy I cannot see how it is possible to conceive an ‘inspiration’ independent of this cause and effect line – being non dualistic, the new line of cause and effect needs to be related and somehow in line with the whole (this of course without bringing in the debate quantum mechanic indeterminacy as it was not suggested first). Maybe I do not understand your point?

      [D]ue to the vagaries of the computer world I received Julian's posting before that of Regis Alain's, and so as I read it I was a little baffled as to the subject matter, recognising some of what I wrote but not the context. There seemed to be no connection between the posting I had responded to and where the conversation had arrived at. Quoting Nigel

      What I wrote was an interaction differing about the  metaphor assuming <neo-liberalism and third word country finance minister action holding spending in those country> as valid and understandable images able to adequately reflex the work of the invisible hand directing nature on one side illustrating possible reactions on the other. I say that it will be a valid metaphor if the bankers and there programs where understood as the Divine Fire / i.e. fare and just, honest and perfect / something observably not much evident manly in that exact and precise context appointed by this metaphor. Is this simples and possibliy not unexpected reaction actually so perplexing?

      Régis A Barbier
      www.panhuasca.org
      www.rbmosaiques.com
      O Universo não tem limites, pouco sabemos

    • Steve & Oxsana Marquis
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 25 12:19 PM
        Jack wrote:
        ____________

        Also, should not the main thing in choosing preference
        or dispreference of an indifferent be vice or virtue?

        'Selecting' indifferents in accordance with our nature IS choosing virtue.
        They are one and the same. To select an indifferent in accordance with
        nature is to consider wisdom (probably the overarching driver), prudence,
        courage, and justice. To select an indifferent in light of one virtue is to
        select an indifferent in light of all the virtues (unity of the virtues).

        Note that we CHOOSE virtue or vice (what is in our power) and we SELECT
        indifferents (what is not fully in our power). To say we choose an
        indifferent is slipping into the assumption that it is up to us whether the
        outcome can in fact be achieved or not.