Re: Stoic cosmotheology . . .

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 4:03 AM
      Jan,
      You said:

      >>> What transpires is a causal
      > sequence often called Fate, one of the many names of Zeus. There is
      no
      > possible branching. Whatever happens has to happen given the total
      set of
      > prior causes. Some events that transpire, of course, do so through
      us,
      > through the assents and choices that human beings made, but these
      are
      > nevertheless results of prior conditions that could not be other
      than
      > they are or were.

      I have instinctually held this to be true for much of my life. Even
      though my choices are free, and my descisions matter, they are
      ultimately determined. This is hard to explain but the message posted
      about free will and determinism did a good job. The idea that free
      will can be determined seems contradictory to some, unless you
      understand that God is immanent rather than transcendant. (The idea
      that free will is determined is actually much more reasonable to
      think it is absolutely free, in which case it would be a ghost..not
      held to the laws of nature or any logical neccesity...an idea which
      is not helpful.)

      > charge of) everything (except our sinful choices).

      This has never made sense. God put man in charge of the one thing he
      is not supposed to do, i.e, have a will different than God's. The
      Stoic Zeus you describe does not need to rely on paradoxes or
      mysteries to be understood...a refreshing change.