Re: The Sage is not Temperate

  • John
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
      Hello Cecil,
      I still cannot fing the passage in Empiricus. I believe the answer
      to your question (> So could such a person 'rightfully' (according to
      the tenets of stoicism )
      > get angry at an evil or injustice ?) must remain no. I am not
      certain that you have the Stoic view of injstice in mind. Epictetus
      considers believing that your good lies in external things to be an
      injustice because you are 'claiming more than your share'. The idea
      that anything accidental could be an injustice or evil is as far as I
      can tell, antithetical to Stoicism. John
    • myshalom777@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
        In a message dated 03/01/2004 12:53:27 GMT Standard Time, john_tonya@... writes:

        Hello Cecil,
          I still cannot fing the passage in Empiricus.

        That's too bad.

        I believe the answer
        to your question (> So could such a person 'rightfully' (according to
        the tenets of stoicism )
        >get angry at an evil or injustice ?) must remain no.

        I still believe i have drawn a valid conclusion from your comment on the passage from Empiricus.

        Of course, we won't be able to get to the bottom of the matter because we don't have the original passage from Empiricus to conclude whether your own comment was a fair interpretation of Empiricus himself .

        But, we may ultimately both be right since as i understand it, Empiricus himself was not a Stoic but a Sceptic.

        Cecil Berker
      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004

          comment on the
          passage from Empiricus. <<<<

          I am not sure I know what your conclusion was, could you please
          restate it?

          Empiricus
          > himself was not a Stoic but a Sceptic.<<<<<<

          This is true. I am not so sure about the Skeptics method
          of "suspending judgement" but their ultimate goal seems to be
          essentially the same as the Stoics, that is "ataraxia of the psyche".
          Sextus Empiricus is also a good source of information on Stoic
          philosphy, much of which I have never heard before.

        • myshalom777@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
            In a message dated 03/01/2004 13:31:39 GMT Standard Time, john_tonya@... writes:

            comment on the
            passage from Empiricus. <<<<

            I am not sure I know what your conclusion was, could you please
            restate it?

            Excuse me John ; but , i posted it twice already.

            You can look them up again in the archives under the same heading  ---- "The Sage is not Temperate".

            Cecil Berker
          • John
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
              Hello Cecil,

              I must have a different archive than you do.
              All I could find was the following:

              > get angry at an evil or injustice ?
              >
              > Cecil Berker>>>>

              When I was in school a question mark made for a question and not
              a 'conclusion'. I must be misunderstanding you. Are we the only
              people left alive on this forum? They dindn't all go on vacation in
              Iran did they?

              John
            • myshalom777@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
                In a message dated 03/01/2004 14:11:40 GMT Standard Time, john_tonya@... writes:

                Are we the only
                people left alive on this forum? They dindn't all go on vacation in
                Iran did they?

                John

                I hope not.

                Cecil Berker
              • myshalom777@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
                  In a message dated 03/01/2004 14:11:40 GMT Standard Time, john_tonya@... writes:

                  Hello Cecil,

                  I must have a different archive than you do.
                  All I could find was the following:

                  >get angry at an evil or injustice ?
                  >
                  >Cecil Berker>>>>

                  When I was in school a question mark made for a question and not
                  a 'conclusion'. I must be misunderstanding you.

                  John,

                  That is the conclusion i reached upon reading your comment.
                  I phrased it as a question because i was already aware it was not the standard Stoic position on the matter.

                  Celal Berker
                • John
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
                    Hello Cecil,

                    Is that what you personally believe? I have heard many exchanges on
                    the forum about how a person should respond in a situation that is
                    considered an injustice. I wonder if anyone changed thier mind as a
                    result of the discussion?
                  • MurrellB@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2004
                      myshalom777@... writes:
                      << Are we the only people left alive on this forum? >>

                      I'm back, but have little to say at this point. Saw
                      where there was a gender discussion--and I'm supposedly
                      the only woman aboard the list. Did the other lady, who
                      joined a few months back, leave? I'm beginning to feel
                      lonely already !

                      Good cheer for the New Year, if it's allowed. :-)
                      --Beatrix