Re: [stoics] Re: stoic meditations / rituals

  • ELEN BUZARE
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2003
      Hi Steeve,

      You wrote:

      "I'll second Geoffrey's request for an explanation of
      Vipassana meditation.
      I am quite interested in both areas (suspension of
      judgement and meditation)".

      OK, I am working on it. The area is somewhat technical
      so I need some time to work on a good english
      translation.

      "You suggest in your article that Buddhism influenced
      Stoicism. Perhaps.
      The Delphic and Pythagorean ideas in Plato do seem
      quite Vedic, I must admit".

      Yes. However, evaluating possible influence of
      buddhism other hellenistic philosophy -especially
      stoicism- sould be handled with care and requires
      thorough knowledge of both philosophies

      Here's another possibility: Both traditions developed
      similar practices.

      That is indeed another possibility.

      Elen
    • Dave Kelly
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1, 2003
        The resources which we found at "Stoic Practice"
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stoic_practice/> to be most helpful on
        Stoic meditation and spiritual exercises were Pierre Hadot's "The Inner
        Citadel: The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius"
        <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0674007077/qid=1028574309/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/002-0755471-9682463>

        and Bruce Maclennan's "Notes on Marcus Aurelius"
        <http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/Classes/US220/Marcus-Aurelius-Outline.html>
        which are derived from Hadot's book.

        and the previously mentioned "Stoic Spiritual Exercises"
        <http://www.geocities.com/stoicvoice/journal/0102/eb0102e1.htm> by Elen
        Buzare which also seem to be based mostly on Hadot.

        Dave

        =====
        Stoic News
        http://stoicnews.blogspot.com/

        PTypes personality types
        http://www.geocities.com/ptypes/

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Nexist Xenda'ths
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
          On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 19:56, Steve Marquis wrote:
          > Here's another possibility: Both traditions developed similar practices.
          > Both B & S have similar purposes, reducing suffering, do they not? And
          > both attempt to do this mainly through psychology / spirituality; ie,
          > personal growth. The religious element (dogma / ritual / grafting on of
          > cultural traditions) in Buddhism, as I understand from my reading, comes
          > later, after the initial teachings.

          I realize this is really late to reply, but an excellent book on
          original Buddhism would be "The Doctrine of Awakening" by Julius Evola.
          It addresses the Buddhist teachings prior to their becoming
          religious/dogmatic.
        • Nexist Xenda'ths
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
            On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 19:56, Steve Marquis wrote:
            > Here's another possibility: Both traditions developed similar practices.
            > Both B & S have similar purposes, reducing suffering, do they not? And
            > both attempt to do this mainly through psychology / spirituality; ie,
            > personal growth. The religious element (dogma / ritual / grafting on of
            > cultural traditions) in Buddhism, as I understand from my reading, comes
            > later, after the initial teachings.

            I realize this is really late to reply, but an excellent book on
            original Buddhism would be "The Doctrine of Awakening" by Julius Evola.
            It addresses the Buddhist teachings prior to their becoming
            religious/dogmatic.
          • Elen Buzare
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
              Hi,

              You find as attached file a document attempting to
              explain cognition in Buddhism and Stoicism and
              suspension of judgement. Please note that my english
              has not been revised by Keith or Jan because both are
              very busy at the moment.
              The subject would deserve a more in depth analyse
              (Perhaps a Research degree at University) but I did as
              best as I could.

              LWH,

              Elen
            • marquis95960
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 12, 2003
                --- In stoics@yahoogroups.com, Nexist Xenda'ths <nexist@c...> wrote:
                > I realize this is really late to reply, but an excellent book on
                > original Buddhism would be "The Doctrine of Awakening" by Julius
                Evola.
                > It addresses the Buddhist teachings prior to their becoming
                > religious/dogmatic.

                Thanks for the info Nexist.

                Steve
              • philip eaton
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 12, 2003
                  Question fm Philip:

                  I was given a book called "The Little Black Book" on Buddhism. Is this book one that most Buddhists would be familiar with and is anyone in this group familiar with it? I am really not familiar with any eastern religions at all.

                  Philip

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Nexist Xenda'ths
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 12, 2003
                    On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 07:37, marquis95960 wrote:
                    > --- In stoics@yahoogroups.com, Nexist Xenda'ths <nexist@c...> wrote:
                    > > I realize this is really late to reply, but an excellent book on
                    > > original Buddhism would be "The Doctrine of Awakening" by Julius
                    > Evola.
                    > > It addresses the Buddhist teachings prior to their becoming
                    > > religious/dogmatic.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the info Nexist.

                    No problem. Evola is one of the few Western Authors on Buddhism &
                    Tantra/Shaktism whose works are read in India... I believe they are at a
                    University there.