Re: Thanks, Alphones and Jan Edward

  • Keith Seddon
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 1999
      A message for Kevin:

      The Discourses you got off the internet is, I think, the Elizabeth Carter
      version. The Manual, Handbook or Enchiridion is there somewhere as well.

      I can recommend the extensive revision of the Carter version done by Robin
      Hard. It's in a cheap paperback edition. If you like cheap books, this is
      for you. If you prefer quality hardbacks that don't go brown in one week
      and fall apart in a fortnight you'll need a dose of Stoic patience. (This
      edition includes the Handbook.)

      THE DISCOURSES OF EPICTETUS, trans. Robin Hard
      Everyman, 1995, ISBN 0-460-87312-1

      If you want scholarly support for Epictetus, try

      EPICTETUS DISCOURSES BOOK 1, trans. Robert Dobbin
      OUP, 1998, ISBN 0-19-823664-6

      This is a quality hardback that is durable enough to last at least until
      you've figured out what Epictetus is saying, and what Dobbin is saying
      about it all in his commentary which is longer than the text he is
      commenting on. You don't so much read a book like this, but study it. It's
      taken me three months of get to Chapter 4 of Book 1, reading the
      commentaries as I go.

      For reading like a regular book, try:

      SENECA, Moral Letters to Lucilius. This is great.
      Penguin do an edition called LETTERS FROM A STOIC. It has about half the
      complete text. Seneca's aim is to apply Stoic moral doctrine directly to
      daily life. Not that Epictetus isn't doing the same thing. But Seneca wrote
      for someone reading him. Epictetus was written down by Arrian -- Heavens!
      wouldn't he have loved a ballpoint and a huge jotter pad! -- in the context
      of a talk following a lecture, and this material doesn't 'read' as well, I
      am inclined to think.

      Try Marcus Aurelius as well. Many editions. The Grube (?) that Jan has
      mentioned is very good (from Hackett).

      Once you've got some stuff under your belt, you may enjoy Long & Sedley's
      volume one of their THE HELLENISTIC PHILOSOPHERS. (Yes, Jan, this is
      Cambridge U. P.)

      Live with honour,

      Keith