Re: [stoics] Re: A flashcard representation of Stolic practice

  • Dave Kelly
    Message 1 of 93 , Jul 3, 2013
      This flashcard representation of the Three Disciplines associates the
      three disciplines with Horney's three "coping strategies" and some
      typical irrational needs, or vices.

      Moving Toward People

      The need for help, guidance, and reassurance

      The Discipline of Judgment

      Moving Against People

      The need for recognition and approval

      The Discipline of Desire

      Moving Away from People

      The need for solitude

      The Discipline of Action

      Message 93 of 93 , Nov 10, 2015
        I've made this little outline account or mind map to remind myself of Stoic value beliefs.

        Life is neither good nor bad.
        It's the way you use life that is good or bad.

        People are neither good nor bad.
        It's the way you use people that is good or bad.

        The job is neither good nor bad.
        It's the way you do the job that is good or bad.

        The role is neither good nor bad.
        It's how you play the role that is good or bad.

        The body is neither good nor bad.
        It's the way you use the body that is good or bad.

        Pleasure is neither good nor bad.
        It's the way you use pleasure that is good or bad.

        Events are neither good nor bad.
        It's the way you respond to events that is good or bad.

        On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:07 AM, ptypes@... [stoics] <stoics@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Discipline of Assent

        Delimit your self to your faculty of choice.

        Discipline of Desire

        Desire only correct choices and a faculty of choice in the proper condition.

        Discipline of Action

        Make only appropriate choices.

        --
        Value only virtue.
        Pursue appropriate objects of aim, not objects of desire.