Re: [stoics] Re: Atheist Stoicism

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 133 , May 7, 2013
      «Yet the core of Stoic philosophy is found neither in logic nor in physics, but in ethics. Their historical immortality the Stoics owe to the ethical ideal which they created. The highest good according to them is happiness which however comes with logic and virtue. The reasoning is as follows: The general urge and the drive of all animals is towards self-preservation. Each animal turns to that which agrees with its nature, it follows the natural life in the words of the famous Stoic dogma. But in the case of reasonable beings 'following the natural life' is that only which derives from knowledge of the general law of the universe, that is, its logical understanding. So whether we define 'following the natural life' as in agreement with ourselves, as does Zeno, or as in agreement with our life with the universe, as Cleanthes, the important fact is that the life of the individual acquires its happiness provided it is in agreement with the logical nature of man, or with the logic of the universe.

      The significant thing is in other words that happiness coincides with virtue, and virtue is the logicity of life, the harmony of life with the 'reason within us' and with the general order, that is, the logos of the universe. Virtue is alone, in itself, good, just as evil is in itself evil, and all other things are ethically indifferent. Neither health nor wealth is good, nor are poverty and illness evil. The former and the latter are both simple matter, which can be used by one for the good or for the bad. Virtue alone is the good and leads to happiness. Only virtue releases man from fear and the evils of life. The wise man is, according to the Stoics, certainly virtuous, is free of sorrow or fear, sensual pleasure and desire, and generally of all anxieties. This is precisely the good of philosophy, that it liberates man from temptation, gives him absolute peace of mind or rather, an indifference and self-confidence. Passions, according to the Stoics, contend with the mind and disturb one's spiritual health.»

      http://www.noteaccess.com/APPROACHES/AGW/Stoics.htm

      Regards, Richard
      -----------------------
      God is not separate from the world; He is the soul of the world, and each of us contains a part of the Divine Fire. All things are parts of one single system, which is called Nature.
    • Richard
      Message 133 of 133 , May 7, 2013
        OK Theo-

        I can work with this.  The ancient texts shoud be the starting point I agree.  I reduced it down to what I thought had to be the barest minimum.  It is not enough of course but we have to start soemwhere in agreement.»

        For me and So far Core Stoicism is the ideal that "Happiness" or Eudomania is under our control
        And
        The ideal of studying and applying the Core Classic Texts.

        For a beginner, it's a great starting point, viz.

        1 accept total responsibility for one's feelings, and

        2. progress towards "mastery" of the subject.

        I see Stoicism as a form of "education" or "training", or even a de-programming of the world's ideas of "victimhood" etc.

        Knowing that for thousands of years people have led better lives by following Stoic ideals is itself quite Liberating for me. It means we CAN have the good life, it's there for the taking.

        I'm just taking it one small layer at a time like an onion. :-)
        Regards, Richard