Re: [stoics] Re: Applying ancient principles to modern circumstances

  • Steve Stoker
    Message 1 of 141 , Apr 21, 2013
      "Steve Stoker's point seem to suggest eclectically applying Stoicism in a way that works for the individual, and not to be too rigid."

      Hi Richard,
      What you said above is about right, for me, my application of Stoa etc. I HAVE tried black/white,
      rigid, rigid, rigid in the past and it simply didn't work for me. Rigidity started to = obsession/complusion.
      Absolutely, from my own experience, I found that the "golden mean" is ideal--for me.

      But I absolutely cannot speak for others or have any desire whatsoever to proselytize. If others
      are led to paths of total abstinance in any thing, I pat them on the back and agree with them, that's
      what they want to do.

      In other words, for me (always for me, never for others), there is not a right or wrong approach here.

      However, at the same time, I have no problem at all in thinking that laws of societies must be black/white,
      either/or. Then, if enough people disagree with the laws, they may change the laws either through
      political, legal means or through revolution. Also, in cases of jury trials, black/white may be mitigated,
      and what may have started out as rigid may become less so....I don't know if this sentence is clear!

      Best,
      Steve

      Message 141 of 141 , May 10 10:03 AM
        The stoic
        is a philosopher
        ever faithful to reason
        and to the rational order
        of the Whole.
        His character
        is noble and tranquil.
        His concern is his and every
        one's well-being though he well
        knows that Good lies within.
        He has no doubts
        about what is and what is not
        in his power so that his desires are
        ever fulfilled, his aversions never incurred.
        He assents only to true values.
        He embraces life
        with courage and temper,
        is righteous and happy regardless
        time, place or circumstances, for he uses
        all semblances to a virtuous end.
        Since he is
        a free man, no one
        is his master, nor is he the master