Re: [stoics] Stoic failing

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2013

      Ian-

      I too see Stoicism as necessarily elitist.  But this is personality type elitism not a social elitism.  I think the Hindus where very clever when they diversified their Yoga into several branches in order to capture different groups of people who had different dominant psychologies.  Stoicism is most certainly geared towards the philosophically inclined thinking type and that fits only the minority of folks out there.  It will always be this way and to think that Stoicism is the best path for everyone I think is naïve.

      What is best for a given person is the best guidebook for leading them through their particular _current_ mental geography.  That guidebook is not the same for someone with a desert geography as it is for someone with a jungle geography.  Furthermore as one advances the geography changes.  And that means, quite radically, that a guidebook that has been very useful until now is absolutely wrong and needs to be discarded in favor of a new guidebook (after you cross the river discard the boat).

      This will set me against those who think that only the ‘truth’ is necessary and that for everyone.  But I disagree most emphatically.  What is best is not a true vision of the end.  That may scare someone off or many other possible reactions.  What is best is what motivates one from where one is currently at in the right direction.

      So others having different beliefs that I see as ‘wrong’ may best be left alone all thing considered.

      In this sense elitism, normally a word with a bad connotation, is not bad.  It should be that way.  It should be an efficient method for the target group it is trying to help.  Part of the definition of being effective is targeting a particular subgroup of the whole; IOW to be elitist.

       This is not a Stoic failing - it is a Stoic strength.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013

        Hello,

        I'm trying to learn more about Boethus of Sidon.  I found all the excerpts from Diogenes Book 7.  Does anyone know where more information may be found.  A half hour of Google searches hasn't provided much.  Any help would be greately appreciated.

        Thank you all!
        Iames

      • Scott Rhodes
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 22, 2013
          Hi Iames
          In case you have not seen Philo's passage on the general doctrine of world conflagration, Stoicism is considered at length and Boethus is repeatedly mentioned :

          ON THE ETERNITY OF THE WORLD* XV. 76 ff.

           But some of those who used to hold a different opinion, being overpowered by truth, have changed their doctrine; for beauty has a power which is very attractive, and the truth is beyond all things beautiful, as falsehood on the contrary is enormously ugly; therefore Boethus, and Posidonius, and Panaetius, men of great learning in the Stoic doctrines, as if seized with a sudden inspiration, abandoning all the stories about conflagrations and regeneration, have come over to the more divine doctrine of the incorruptibility of the world; (77) and it is said also that Diogenes, when he was very young, agreed entirely with those authors.... XVI. (78) But Boethus adduces the most convincing arguments, which we shall proceed to mention immediately; for if, says he, the world was created and is liable to destruction, then something will be made out of nothing, which appears to be most absurd even to the Stoics. Why so? XVI. (78) But Boethus adduces the most convincing arguments, which we shall proceed to mention immediately; for if, says he, the world was created and is liable to destruction, then something will be made out of nothing, which appears to be most absurd even to the Stoics. Why so? Because it is not possible to discover any cause of destruction either within or without, which will destroy the world. For on the outside there is nothing except perhaps a vacuum, inasmuch as all the elements in their integrity are collected and contained within it, and within there is no imperfection so great as to be the cause of dissolution to so great a thing. Again, if it is destroyed without any cause, then it is plain that from something which has no existence will arise the engendering of destruction, which is an idea quite inadmissible by reason.

          There is more said, at length.