RE: [stoics] Re: Remember that you are an actor in a play

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hello Michelle,

      Some are "spoilt for choice" others are not.

      The way I understand the Stoics a person can flourish in each case.

      In this sense one is not better off having many options to a given situation to choose from compared to the one who has fewer.

      Though of course it is reasonable often to pursue those things which give us more options IF we have the chance.

      Regards
      Kevin

      ------------------------------
      On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 1:59 PM EST Michelle Creedy wrote:

      >Hi Richard
      >
      >Now, perhaps I'm not being a very good Stoic by asking these questions. What
      >happens when you don't know what your role is in life. What happens when you
      >feel you know what your role is in life but you face barriers and are not
      >given a chance? Yes, find another way but how many other ways can you really
      >fine? Just wondering. When all the other ways have been tried what do you
      >do?
      >
      >Michelle

    • Michelle Creedy
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 14, 2013

        Interestingthoughts.Michelle

        Some are "spoilt for choice" others are not.

        The way I understand the Stoics a person can flourish in each case.

        In this sense one is not better off having many options to a given situation to choose from compared to the one who has fewer.

        Though of course it is reasonable often to pursue those things which give us more options IF we have the chance.

        Regards
        Kevin

        ------------------------------

        On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 1:59 PM EST Michelle Creedy wrote:

        >Hi Richard
        >
        >Now, perhaps I'm not being a very good Stoic by asking these questions. What
        >happens when you don't know what your role is in life. What happens when you
        >feel you know what your role is in life but you face barriers and are not
        >given a chance? Yes, find another way but how many other ways can you really
        >fine? Just wondering. When all the other ways have been tried what do you
        >do?
        >
        >Michelle

      • Dave Kelly
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 14, 2013
          On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Richard <pmsrxw@...> wrote:
          > It matters for what reason we are doing things well. Why does it, as you say, behoove us to do any task in a considerate manner, especially if we're being compensated?»
          >
          > Ethics

          We need to develop a constant awareness of where our interest really lies.

          I've modified Keith's text (Stoic_Serenity, pg 30) to include the
          concept of role.

          We need to distinguish between our roles on the one hand, and the
          _way_ we perform our roles on the other.

          Each of our roles is performed to satisfy some interest we have.
          Interests would include earning an income, gaining an education,
          staying healthy, raising children, etc., etc.

          Notice that interests concern indifferent things (with the singular
          and unique exception of our interest to perfect our characters and
          thereby to fully flourish and live happily).

          But the _way_ we perform our role -- noting that the way we act in the
          performance of our role is entirely distinct from the role itself --
          concerns our capacity to act virtuously, to act in ways characteristic
          of the person who has perfected their character. _This_, say the
          Stoics, is what is good or bad, and this is what is or supreme
          importance.