Hello, I'm new here....

  • Steve Stoker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
      I use "Stoic Serenity" and "The Handbook and tablet of Cebes" extensively in practicing Stoa. Also, Seneca's
      letters and a few other texts by a few different authors....

      Probably the most important practice, for me, is the Discipline of Assent, Desire and Action...seems that if
      I'm acting within "what can I control, what can I not control, what is up to me, what is not up to me", I eliminate
      much needless stuff in daily life. NOT that I can do this all the time!!! No claim to perfectionism or sagehood here!

    • NishmaBlogMaster
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
        I'm acting within "what can I control, what can I not control, what is up to me, what is not up to me", I eliminate
        much needless stuff in daily life. NOT that I can do this all the time!!! No claim to perfectionism or sagehood here!

        Best wishes,
        Steve»

        Welcome Steve this is your friend Richard from REBT

        Isn't the Serenity Prayer all about accepting the unchangeable and changing the changeable?

        Apparently much Stoic wisdom has filtered down through the ages and we can find its influence in many sayings such as "not crying over spilled milk..."
        Best Regards,
        RW
      • otnac6
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
          Hi Richard,
          Yes, I see the influence all over the place!
          I thought I had set this so that I would get your response on my
          email but I didn't. I had to come to the site to see it. Can you
          tell me what I need to put in my settings so that responses will go
          to my email? I thought I'd done it correctly, but apparently not!

          Thanks,
          Steve

          --- In stoics@yahoogroups.com, "NishmaBlogMaster" <nishmarrw@...> wrote:

          > I'm acting within "what can I control, what can I not control, what is up to me, what is not up to me", I eliminate
          > much needless stuff in daily life. NOT that I can do this all the time!!! No claim to perfectionism or sagehood here!
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Steve»
          >
          > Welcome Steve this is your friend Richard from REBT
          >
          > Isn't the Serenity Prayer all about accepting the unchangeable and changing the changeable?
          >
          > Apparently much Stoic wisdom has filtered down through the ages and we can find its influence in many sayings such as "not crying over spilled milk..."
          > Best Regards,
          > RW

        • NishmaBlogMaster
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
            Hi Richard,
            Yes, I see the influence all over the place!
            I thought I had set this so that I would get your response on my
            email but I didn't. I had to come to the site to see it. Can you
            tell me what I need to put in my settings so that responses will go
            to my email? I thought I'd done it correctly, but apparently not!

            Thanks,
            Steve»

            Moderators can you help my friend Steve?

            Steve and I are on an REBT-CBT forum. I wanted to go deeper and learn more about the Stoic foundations of modern cognitive therapy. Also I find Epictetus absolutely fascinating, and marcus aurelius interesting too.

            An associate of Albert Ellis has taken on Stoicism, too and we communicate at times

            Happy 2013

            Best Regards,
            RW
          • Steve Stoker
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
              Richard and all,

              Okay....emails are coming to me now. Don't know what was wrong before, maybe I did or didn't
              do something right. But it's fixed now!

              Best,
              Steve Stoker

              Yes, I see the influence all over the place!
              I thought I had set this so that I would get your response on my
              email but I didn't. I had to come to the site to see it. Can you
              tell me what I need to put in my settings so that responses will go
              to my email? I thought I'd done it correctly, but apparently not!

              Thanks,
              Steve»

              Moderators can you help my friend Steve?

              Steve and I are on an REBT-CBT forum. I wanted to go deeper and learn more about the Stoic foundations of modern cognitive therapy. Also I find Epictetus absolutely fascinating, and marcus aurelius interesting too.

              An associate of Albert Ellis has taken on Stoicism, too and we communicate at times

              Happy 2013

              Best Regards,
              RW

              <*> Your email settings: