Re: [stoics] Weakness (again)

  • Timothy Anstiss
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
      George asked "what am I missing?"

      In my opinion, people who live more stoically than others do not cease to
      undertake activities essential for personal growth that risk personal pain.
      In fact. I think their sphere of activity and "comfort zone" is massively
      expanded - precisely because they cease to fear that which others fear -
      loss of status, loss of income, loss of reputation, access to resources,
      etc.

      I would suggest that most people are held back from living flourishing lives
      precisely because they are risk averse resulting from their numerous
      attachments and dependencies to things which should actually be preferred or
      non-preferred indifferents.

      I don't see stoics as avoiding things out of fear of consequencies. They
      actually have fewer fears of consequencies than others - because what others
      woudl regard as a bad outcome, the stoic laughs at - knowing it is of no
      matter.

      If you wish to argue for the maintainance of your fears and your
      vulnerablility to loss, because you think it makes you "more human" - be my
      guest.

      cheers

      tim