Re: [stoics] Re: pro-atheist proganda/God is dead

  • Kent Backman
    Message 1 of 74 , Dec 8, 2009
      > --- In
      href="mailto:stoics@yahoogroups.com">stoics@yahoogroups. com, "Kent Backman" <mb265674@.. .> wrote:
      >> About 36 % of us swedes
      are atheists, which of course is not a
      > belief system as some religious
      fundamentalists claim but an absence
      > of belief...

      ============ ========= =========

      > Hey Grant, there Kent
      goes using that kooky "daniel-atheism" word :)

      >Hmm, didn't we have a long discussion on this subject a long time
      ago?
      In the intervening time, I blogged on the question of whether atheism
      is a positive belief here: http://solri. livejournal. com/368349. html .
      For those who can't be bothered to read the post, the upshot is that a
      statement affirming or denying the existence of a creator-god (I'm not
      looking at other varieties of god here) is essentially a statement
      about the created or uncreated nature of the universe, so any position
      other than agnosticism is an assertion, not an absence of belief.
      Robin>

      If something is to be sees as dead it at least had to be in existence at first. God never existed, except as a mytological concept created in an excuse for the abscence of answers given by natural science.

      One of the most common Gods, the God from the Bible, has his origins in another God of the Bible, Ba´al, aka the Lord. I find Ze´ev Herzogs arguments for this quite convincing, I also came to the same conclusion after studying the case.

      Agnosticism holds the belief that you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of Gods. It is to be seen as a belief since it holds no absence of belief.

      Real atheism is an absence of belief in Gods.

      Another form of newly risen atheism is Jesus atheism. It states that Jesus never existed, as TNT claims, but still maintains the belief in the various Gods of the Bible.

      In support of the case of Jesus atheism I found that the real "Testimonium Flavianum" is located quite near the fake "Testimonium Flavianum".

      The fake "Testimonium Flavianum" was written by Eusebius in the beginning of the fourth century.

      The fake "Testimonium Flavianum" is located in this book in chapter 3.3.

      The real "Testimonium Flavianum" is located in the same book, chapter 4.1-3.

      However, since there are no source for any resurrection myth to be found anywhere in the case of the samaritan prophet you have to look elsewhere for it. Not surprisingly it can be found in Clements "Recognitions":

      The one thought to be dead and risen is without doubt James the essene, the teacher of rightousness. It´s obvious that many of his followers had thought him to be dead, and yet they saw him alive later. This of course did not stop James from being stoned later. I also strongly suspect that James was the one called Christ, even by Josephus.

      Chapter 9.1. "Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others,..."

      I suspect the original sentence, before being altered by christians, was: "Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them James, who was called Christ, and some others,..."

      Later oral tradition made the samaritan prophet, who held the samarian belief in Josua/Jesus as the Messiah, and James the essene more or less merge in to one person, but still keeping them as separate individuals. Therefor I state that Jesus never existed.

      You cannot separate James the essene and the samaritan prophet from the christian Jesus saga without losing the whole christian myth of Jesus. Without the samaritan prophet being crucified by Pilate, without the case of James "resurrection" merging the whole christian saga falls apart.

      You only have to connect the dots obscured by modern theologians, whom I would not call scholars in the light of recent discoveries (which they must have known of a long time, if they really were scholars), to see the obvious; Jesus never existed.

      English is not my native language so I beg your forgiveness for any errors concerning grammar or spelling.

      Have a merry winter solstice.

      Kent Backman
      Angstavagen 13
      83021 Tandsbyn
      Sweden

    • Curt Steinmetz
      Message 74 of 74 , Dec 9, 2009
        Stoic psychology is not completely determined by Stoicism's physicalism.

        Stoicism is an outgrowth of the Socratic and Platonic movements and of Greek philosophy in general. As such it incorporates both cosmological and psychological conceptions that are not inherently constrained by physicalism, but which Stoicism attempts to so constrain. In my opinion these attempts are inevitably of great interest, but also inevitably fail.

        Both the Delphic/Socratic maxim, gnothi seauton, and the perspective of eudaimonism are more fundamental to Stoicism that is its physicalism. Modern approaches to ancient philosophy tend to over-emphasize what distinguishes the various schools from each other - up to and including defining the schools only in terms of these distinctive features, while largely ignoring (at least in terms of defining the schools) what they share in common.

        Curt