Re: [stoics] Susanne's paper

  • Sue Carroll
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
      Hello,

      Thank you for you response, sorry if I have got a few details wrong, but I really do know very little about Stoicism and are trying to educate myself. I was wondering about a commentary on my essay from a more factual point of view, is there any information which could be put in which would help the essay? Do you know of any sources to find such information?

      I am really stuck with this essay and the title has changed slightly. It is Stoicism and its influence on modern day Christian pilosophy - can u help me on this?

      Any help would be much appreciated - thanks.

    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
        Sorry I my first reply got sent by accident before I had time to type anything:-)
        I doubt there is any provable influence of Stoicism on modern "Christian philosophy." The definition of  'a modern day Christian philosophy' itself is certainly very difficult.  Some people who have read Epictetus (like the AA) may come up with a Stoic inspired prayer like "Lord, help me change what can be changed, accept what cannot, and give me the wisdom to see the difference." But such ideas have probably been incorporated into Christian thought way before our modern times.
        Thomas

      • SumEsSumus@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
          In a message dated 9/3/01 1:41:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tc266@...
          writes:

          I am really stuck with this essay and the title has changed slightly. It is
          Stoicism and its influence on modern day Christian pilosophy - can u help
          me on this?

          check out St. Augustine

          Barry
        • Sue Carroll
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 18, 2001
            Thank you for your e-mail. Can you help me further, please?

            Thanks
            Sue
          • Thomas
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 18, 2001
              What's your exact question?
              Thomas

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 19, 2001

                My coursework title is:

                The Role of Stoicism and its influence on Modern day Christian Philosophy