Re: Re: [stoics] New poll for stoics

  • Caleb Williamson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      When I came across Aurelius, I admired his book greatly and I also
      admired many aspects of his character: his simple manner of living, his
      decision to lead the troops in person, etc. Still, I had to admit that
      he allowed the Christians to be persecuted and the gladitorial combats
      to continue. I consoled myself by thinking that there probably wasn't a
      whole lot he could have done about either issue, emperor or not, and
      that his culture didn't leave him much intellectual ammo for comming up
      with the humane decision in either case. Still, I would be very
      interested to know what he did about limiting the games. If the danger
      of the games has been exaggerated as much as the 5-10% statistic
      suggests, that would explain a lot of it, too.

      Web Page: http://www.arches.uga.edu/~caleb
    • stoics@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2002
        stoics group:

        I wonder if forum members will indulge
        my curiosity? I would like to know what
        proportion of us are theists. --Keith

        o I have a strong belief in deity.
        o I am inclined to believe in deity.
        o I am agnostic, having no strong belief in deity either way.
        o I am inclined to atheism, and do not believe in deity.
        o I am strongly atheist, and firmly disbelieve in deity.

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!