Business

  • Jan Garrett
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      Dear International Forum members,

      You may have noticed (or you maybe not) that egroups has been gobbled up by
      Yahoo! Groups. So far as I know most of the functions we are used to remain.
      I do know that the "stoics" community now located at yahoogroups.com is no
      longer officially moderated (which means my "moderator" status is not
      officially recognized at Yahoo!). Even at egroups, joining was set up so that
      people could join without being vetted by anybody, although quite a few people
      contacted me first and then were directed to go to egroups.com and join
      operationally. This openness has not been a problem since our members and
      visitors are normally quite civilized discussion partners.

      One thing that I think has disappeared is that the Welcome Letter that I
      composed and which, when we were at egroups.com and before that at
      onelist.com, was sent automatically to new members is no longer sent. If I am
      wrong about this I hope somebody will let me know.

      I hope anybody who has been trying to post to the Forum and has had problems
      will let me know about them.

      If I am right, once we are officially registered as individuals with Yahoo!
      Groups (www.yahoo.com) we can post to the Forum without going to the Yahoo
      Groups website. (I found that I had to register with Yahoo! Groups before I
      could post directly to the Forum; I was able to get a post through the group
      mechanism before I had registered--by simply replying to an earlier message.)
      If you receive this through Yahoo! Groups it will prove that at least I could
      post directly from my own email program to the group.
      .
      I am simply addressing the message to

      stoics@yahoogroups.com

      On a different point, I have redesigned The Stoic Place website, using frames
      in an attempt to make it more attractive and user-friendly.

      The new version is at http://www.wku.edu/~garreje/stoa2.htm

      Please take a look at it and let me know of any bugs you encounter.

      Those of you who have links to The Stoic Place in your sites or among your
      "favorites," don't change your url's--because after the new version has been
      available for testing for several days, I will rename the old file for the
      Stoic Place homepage and change the new version to the url you are accustomed
      to expecting.

      In Stoic solidarity,

      Jan Garrett
      Moderator gratia vocis fori (at least as of two years ago)
    • Keith Seddon
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
        Hello Jan,

        Re the Yahoo! take-over of eGroups, you said:

        > You may have noticed (or you maybe not) that egroups has been gobbled up
        by
        > Yahoo! Groups. So far as I know most of the functions we are used to
        remain.

        > One thing that I think has disappeared is that the Welcome Letter that I
        > composed and which, when we were at egroups.com and before that at
        > onelist.com, was sent automatically to new members is no longer sent. If I
        am
        > wrong about this I hope somebody will let me know.

        Having looked over my Stoic_Foundation yahoogroups pages (which I own and
        moderate http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stoic_Foundation ) *as far as I can
        tell* nothing has altered (except you need new, downloadable, software to
        use the chat room facility). The Stoic_Foundation automated welcome message
        is still there, as is a send-to-all-new-members message that I also added to
        the site. As modertator, you access these by going to the group page, click
        on settings, then look for the automated messages which listed right at the
        bottom of the page.

        Hope this helps!

        Best wishes,

        Keith