martinis, girls, and guns

  • Genghis Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2000
      > Geoffrey wrote:
      >
      >> When these eggheads start going at it, I feel
      >> frustrated and really want a stoicism that is accessable to the layman.

      Two words, Geoff: Drink beer. When the eggheads start going at it, even the
      stoics become epicurians. Intelligence is just another way to say the same
      thing you already knew.

      > MaryBeth wrote:
      >
      >> I'm curious about something,why are Seneca and Marcus Aurilus
      >> mentioned more often then Epictetus?

      Two words, Marybeth: Margin drawings. My (used) copy of Seneca has these
      cool drawings of Reagan and Nixon in nooses in the margins. Very
      educational. Induces deep thinking.

      >> One other thing has anyone noticed that
      >> there are a lot of similarities between the stoics and the taoists?

      Lots of good talking points to be made here, MB, but everybody is screaming
      for tequila shots.

      >From: <bertr@...>
      > Subject: Re: question
      > I think the Handbook is puzzling for someone who doesn't already have a
      > basic understanding of Stoic ideas. It is good for a discussion group, where
      > you have at least one expert.

      Dude, the advantage of the handbook is that you can take it at face value.
      Do so. Why rely on the list? I mean, us experts could all be seriously
      unreliable sources of disinformation for all you know. We could be deranged
      maniacs. We could be your other personality. Don't bother yourself with
      all that. The handbook says it all. In short sentences.

      Be excellent to each other,

      gem