Re: [stoics] Update on the Painted Porch [Stoa Poikile]

  • Mark Travis
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
      Thanks for the update.  Glad you returned safely.  Did you like being at the spot?  I did.

      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 25, 2010
        the quote I have quoted several times from Robert A Wilson, while making
        a serious and valid point is also meant to be humorous and it is the reader
        who inserts bullshit for BS because nothing in what is said does this
        by itself...

        for people seeking to remove passions it seems that many here still
        are easily offended by what is only humorous and need to take
        the stick from out their posterior apertures and lighten up.

        The pain of offense comes from damage to ones self image
        and ones ideals... these are not you... let them go.

        --
        RA
        NOW is perfect until you compare it to something it ain't!
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 25, 2010
          Sorry, Jiohdi, but BS stands for bullshit. If you choose to use BS differently, you need a much better justification than you have so far given. In fact, the justification you have given seems disingenuous.

          Malcolm

          the quote I have quoted several times from Robert A Wilson, while making
          a serious and valid point is also meant to be humorous and it is the reader
          who inserts bullshit for BS because nothing in what is said does this
          by itself...

          for people seeking to remove passions it seems that many here still
          are easily offended by what is only humorous and need to take
          the stick from out their posterior apertures and lighten up.

          The pain of offense comes from damage to ones self image
          and ones ideals... these are not you... let them go.

          --
          RA
          NOW is perfect until you compare it to something it ain't!

        • Generator Of Dreams
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 25, 2010
            --- In stoics@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Schosha <malcolmschosha@...> wrote:

            > Sorry, Jiohdi, but BS stands for bullshit. If you choose to use BS differently, you need a much better justification than you have so far given. In fact, the justification you have given seems disingenuous.
            >
            > Malcolm

            in the statement that every B.lief S.ystem is BS to some degree, the BS is obviously a double meaning 1stly to Belief System and 2ndly with
            what should be humorously tied to BullShit... again, its still a valid
            point and it is intended by the author and myself to be funny...
            and not an attack on anyones precious faith.
          • Malcolm Schosha
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 25, 2010
              jiohdi wrote:

              in the statement that every B.lief S.ystem is BS to some degree, the BS is obviously a double meaning 1stly to Belief System and 2ndly with
              what should be humorously tied to BullShit... again, its still a valid
              point and it is intended by the author and myself to be funny...
              and not an attack on anyones precious faith.

              The problem is that calling something BS is not an argument. In any case Stoicism is not my faith.