Introduction--Andre?

  • MurrellB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 1998
      As is common on mailing-lists, new subscribers usually provide
      a small introduction. Since most of us Stoics already did this
      on our old format, I guess that leaves our electronic savior
      Andre' Slabber. :)

      Methinks, Andre', that I have seen you about the newsgroups as
      Andy McGregor. How's about telling us more of yourself, your
      interests, now that you have joined our company?

      --Beatrix
    • Andy McGregor
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 1998
        OK, Beatrix,

        And all other new friends, I guess I can tell you something about myself.

        >As is common on mailing-lists, new subscribers usually provide
        >a small introduction. Since most of us Stoics already did this
        >on our old format, I guess that leaves our electronic savior
        >Andre' Slabber. :)

        I think I haven't seen any of these introductions. How about a re-run?

        >Methinks, Andre', that I have seen you about the newsgroups as
        >Andy McGregor. How's about telling us more of yourself, your
        >interests, now that you have joined our company?

        First of all, Andy McGregor and me are one and the same person, but I often
        use his name on the Internet because it has a better ring to it, and leaves
        a thin (very thin) shield of anonimity. The name is one I invented back in
        my highschool days, when I was a DJ on weekends.

        I'm currently 35 years old, have a wife and two lovely daughters, and work
        as a developer / problem solver in the IT branch for one of the biggest IT
        companies in Europe.

        About four years ago, during the onset of what was later diagnosed as manic
        depression (mainly manic ;-) I got interested in the questions of life, and
        turned to the Web to find the answers. I tried various things, thought a
        lot, and decided that I must make my own personal philosophy if I were to
        make any sense out of this. I did, only to find that my homemade philosophy
        coincides for a very large part with the Stoic view of life. Of course, my
        views might change in the light of new knowledge, but I'll see it when I get
        there...

        During the past few years I've been out of commision for almost a year due
        to the bipolar disorder mentioned earlier. This was a strange and wonderful
        period, but I'm hoping not to repeat it.

        My interests are few, but very wide: the pursuit of knowledge is my first
        concern, and taking care of "my girls" is a close second. After that come
        all of the things you can do with computers, except for games (which I play
        hardly at all).

        This is, I think, about all that I want to say here and now. If you are
        curious, and want to know what makes me tick, visit Andy's Brain Dump at
        http://www.bigfoot.com/~selfaware
      • Cyberstoic@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 1998
          Again, I just want to thank Andy/Andre' for creating this mailing list for us.
          I'm sure he will be a fine moderator.

          AND, for those who have not seen it, you're in for a treat. Andy's Brain Dump
          is exceptional!

          Erik