Lipsius, His Second Book, Of Constancy (2.1)

  • Jan E Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2000
      Justus Lipsius, His Second Book, Of Constancy

      (first "Englished" by John Stradling in 1594)

      Chapter 1

      The occasion of renewing their talk. The going unto Langius his pleasant
      garden and the commendation thereof.

      The next day it seemed good to Langius to bring me unto his gardens,
      being two, which he kept with very great care, one in the hill over
      against his house, the other further off in a valley by the river of
      Moze.

      Which river holdeth his course gently
      By a town seated most pleasantly.

      Therefore coming somewhat timely into my chamber, what, Lipsius, said
      he, shall we walk abroad, or had you rather take your ease and sit
      still? Nay, Langius, I had rather walk with you. But whither shall we
      go? If it please you, quoth Langius, to my garden by the river's side;
      the way is not far, you shall exercise your body and see the town.
      Finally, the air is there pleasant and fresh in this hot weather. It
      pleases me well, said I, neither shall any way be tedious for me to
      follow if you go before; though it were to the furthest Indies.

      And therewith calling for our cloaks, we put them on; we went, and went
      into the garden. In the very entrance as I case my eyes about with a
      wandering curiosity, wondering with myself at the elegance and beauty of
      the place: My sire, said I, what pleasantness and bravery is this? You
      have heaven here, Langius, and no garden. Neither do the glittering
      stars above shine clearer in a fair night than your fine flowers
      glistering and showing their colors with variety. Poets speak much of
      the gardens of Adonis and Alcinous; they are trifles and in comparison
      of this no better than pictures of flies; when I drear nearer and
      applied some of the flowers to my nose and eyes, what shall I wish
      first, quoth I, to be all eye with Argus or nose with Catallus? This
      delight so tickles and feeds both my senses at once. Away, away all ye
      odors of Arabia, you are loathsome unto me in comparison of this pure
      and celestial air that I savor. Then spake Lipsius wring me softly by
      the hand and not without laughter: It is well commended of you, Lipsius,
      but truly neither I nor my country dame Flora, here present, do deserve
      these lofty and friendly praises. Yea, but they are truly deserve,
      Langius. Think ye that I flatter you? I speak in good earnest and from
      my heart. The Elysian fields are not Elysian in respect of [in
      comparison to] this your farm. For behold, what exquisite neatness is
      here on every side? What order? How proportionably are all things
      disposed in their borders and places, that even checkerwork in tables is
      not more curious? Again, what plenty is here of flowers and herbs? What
      strangeness and novelty? In so much that nature seems to have compacted
      with in this little plot, whatsoever thing of price is comprised in this
      or that new world.