Re: [stoics] Wittgenstein on Form.

  • Kevin Collins
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      Jan,

      Below is my response:

      4.0312 The possibility of propositions is based on the principle that objects have signs as their representatives. My fundamental idea is that the 'logical constants' are not representatives; that there can be no representatives of the logic of facts.

      And again from the opening statements of the book:
      “The whole sense of the book might be summed up the following words: what can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence. Thus the aim of the book is to draw a limit to thought, or rather--not to thought, but to the expression of thoughts”.

      I think the ‘logical constants’ he speaks of in the first excerpt is the same pictorial form, logical form, and sense of propositions; he speaks of through out his book. His main idea, I would paraphrase, is that these forms exist, and can only be depicted not explained. It may be I am reading into his work but I took away a real sense of mystery that he felt on the existence of this logical form which all of the world conforms to.

      6.421 It is clear that ethics cannot be put into words. Ethics is transcendental. (Ethics and aesthetics are one and the same.)

      I found the equating of ethics and aesthetics very interesting. I think he is depicting ethics as a sense of proportion to the ‘logical form’, it cannot be said but it is there.

      Again I maybe seeing similarities that do not exist, but I do see the appreciation of the logical form of the world as normative for ethics in both the Stoics and W. Though early W would say to try and express these ethics in nonsense…. I think

      Regrads

      Kevin

      "jan.garrett" <jan.garrett@...> wrote:
      Here is a copy of Wittgenstein' s Tractatus.

      I don't think W. means by form what the ancient Greeks meant by the laws of Zeus/Nature, because W. is concerned especially with what is the case, or maybe the form of what is the case, or the relationship between true propositions and what is the case, not what ought to be. Teleological thinkers among the ancients, such as the Stoics, could move with a certain amount of ease between "nature" taken in the factual sense and "nature" taken in the normative sense. W. is working against the background of Hume, who insisted that it was fallacious to reason from what is in fact the case to what ought to be the case. Thus, unless I completely misunderstand W., for him, what ought to be the case remains in the realm about which one must be silent. He does say this:

      6.42 . . . it is impossible for there to be propositions of ethics. Propositions can express nothing that is higher.
      6.421 It is clear that ethics cannot be put into words. Ethics is transcendental. . . .
      It would be more plausible to treat the Stoic law of nature, in its factual aspect, as a formal cause (roughly in Aristotle's sense) of the cosmos as a whole. Aristotelian formal causes are in the natural beings whose form they are. Wittgensteinian pictorial form--if that's the sort of form you have in mind--somehow bridges reality and pictures. My impression-- I am no Wittgenstein expert--is that Wittgenstein is using his notion of picture to try to get himself to the position where he can state more clearly than anyone else--what it means for a proposition to be meaningful and true (would a true proposition not be (a) meaningful and (b) accurately picture the world?).

      2.161 There must be something identical in a picture and what it depicts, to enable the one to be a picture of the other at all.
      2.17 What a picture must have in common with reality, in order to be able to depict it--correctly or incorrectly- -in the way that it does, is its pictorial form.
      He's trying to explain the correspondence theory of truth, without bringing in biologically evolved human mental capacities. In that sense, the early W. is a pre-Darwinian, even though he was writing half a century after publication of Darwin's Origin of Species.