Re: [stoics] Re: For Peter

  • will
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      When Jan is acting as 'forum moderator' he ought to make this clear at the outset and, IMHO, a _gentler_ approach (than his usual 'moderator' approach) ought also to be possible.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In stoics@yahoogroups.com, "will" <willpenrhiw@...> wrote:

        > When Jan is acting as 'forum moderator' he ought to make this clear
        at the outset and, IMHO, a _gentler_ approach (than his
        usual 'moderator' approach) ought also to be possible.

        sometimes as participant, but that's what happens in any good
        classroom situation, especially in a philosophy classroom. The
        teacher (or moderator) at times needs to call the class to order and
        at times he joins in the discussion either to stimulate the debate or
        to make his own point of view clear. I agree 100% with Steve that
        philosophy is a dialectical process and that without criticism it is
        impossible to learn. By the way, I take it for granted that Jan
        and Keith, who are university philosophy professors, know more
        about the details of Stoicism than I do and I'm grateful to have the
        benefit of their studies. That doesn't mean that they are
        infallible or gurus, just that they have studied the subject more
        than I have. Finally, I still hope that Peter will continue
        contributing his unique style of seeing the world to this forum.
        Amos

        29/01/2007 14:49

      • phrygianslave
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
          Dear Amos, Steve, Will, & Jan,

          I don't know what to say . . .

          Sorry, Jan! I was a little too impetuous for my own good.

          I'll stay in the Forum if that's OK with you.

          I will also try to keep my posts a lot shorter from now. Does
          anybody know what the limit actually is?

          Thanks, especially, Amos, and, Steve, for your observations and
          words of advice, and to you too, Will.

          Best wishes,

          Peter