Re: [stoics] new member introduces himself

  • Leo Iermano
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi Pablo,

      Welcome aboard. I have only been member for about 6 months and find the forum stimulating and at times very academically minded. The learned members impart great knowledge on stocism. Since I have delved into Stocism I find it a fascinating philosophy and hingry to learn more.

      I suggest you read  "Letters from a Stoic" by Seneca. I found it very relevant in dealing with life's issues in the 21st century. Also, one of the founders of the forum Keith Seddon has a wonderful book on Epictetus.

      Ciao
      Leo

      vivepablo <vivepablo@...> wrote:
      I'm a new member of this group. First of all, I have no formal
      philosphical training, and my readings of the Stoics are basically
      limited to Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius. I'm 60 years old, and
      I've found, much to my surprise, that as I've gotten older, I've
      become more sensitive and perhaps Stoicism seemed like a way for me to
      cope with a world that I find increasingly hostile. I'm keenly aware
      of my own mortality, and the sense of the fragility of life that I find
      in Marcus Aurelius also appeals to me. I use the name "vivepablo" (I
      think that the Spanish is simple enough that we all can understand it)
      to recall my son, Pablo, who died 5 years ago of a rare blood
      disease at age 15. More than the details of Stoic philosophy, which
      at times seem a bit scholastic to me, I'm interested in how I can use
      Stoic techniques to face problems of daily life. It appears
      strange, but what Marcus Aurelius says appears to me more relevant to
      contemporary life than today's newspaper. Thank you for your
      consideration.

      On Yahoo!7
      Messenger: IM with Windows Live™ Messenger friends.