STOIC MODAL LOGIC

  • Gary Moore
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
      To whoever:
      What is 'modal logic' in Stoicism and how does it operate in their system of thought? I have Long and Sedley if you can point out a good text for me. Is their anything else that might be useful in this endeavor?
      Ciao, Gary

      Sincerly,
      Gary C. Moore
      Box 5081
      Midland, Texas 79704
      http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/garyindex.htm
      APS # 205098
      China Stamp Society #4611 2005
      Hong Kong Stamp Society # 964
      Lithuania Philatelic Society
      Rossica # 1855
      Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society A-628
      gottlos752004@...

    • jan.garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
        Gary,

        Modal logic is the logic of terms like "it's necessary that . . . " and "it's possible that . . . " In the index to Long and Sedley (The Hellenistic Philosophers, vol. 1), there are entries for necessity and possibility, on p. 511 (of the first edition, anyway). I imagine you'll find plenty of food for thought in the corresponding pages in the Stoic section of L&S.

        A classic study of Stoic logic is a book by Benson Mates. (I haven't read it but when I took a graduate level symbolic logic course in the 1970's at the University of Minnesota, our textbook was another work by Mates; the course was rigorous one.) There are two pages on modality in the article by S. Bobzien on Logic in Brad Inwood, ed., The Cambridge Companion to the Stoics (2003). Those sources ought to get you started.

        What is 'modal logic' in Stoicism and how does it operate in their system of thought? I have Long and Sedley if you can point out a good text for me. Is their anything else that might be useful in this endeavor?
        Ciao, Gary

        Sincerly,
        Gary C. Moore
        Box 5081
        Midland, Texas 79704
        http://evans- experientialism. freewebspace. com/garyindex. htm
        APS # 205098
        China Stamp Society #4611 2005
        Hong Kong Stamp Society # 964
        Lithuania Philatelic Society
        Rossica # 1855
        Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society A-628
        gottlos752004@ yahoo.com

      • Gary Moore