Ancient Stoic Activism

  • thedude6752000
    Message 1 of 55 , Dec 1, 2005
      Didn't Musonius Rufus go out to preach at the armies of Vespasian and
      a usurper who who going out to war? He was a very much in a peace
      supporter, so wouldn't this have made him both an ancient political
      activist *and* a liberal?

      And didn't he get the gladiatorial games banned from the sacred area
      of some Dionysus temple? Since I bleieve both he and Seneca were
      against gladiatorial games, wouldn't this also have been Stoic activism?
    • Arkadi Choufrine
      Message 55 of 55 , Jun 7, 2006

        Hi, everybody!

        I have come across the following phrase in a popular presentation:

        “Functionally, the seminal reasons or principles [of the Stoics] are identical to Plato's Forms or Ideas”.

        My questions are:

        (1) Does this sound right?

        (2) If so, what would be the most clear and obvious characteristic(s) one could indicate to demonstrate the *difference* between the Stoic and the Platonic concept?

        Could one say, e.g., that, unlike the ideas, the logoi are *not pre-existent*  in relation to individual things?

        Many thanks in advance.

        Arkadi