35989Re: Stoic philosophical practice in a nutshell

  • douglasjhmoore
    Aug 18, 2014

      Hi Chris,

      I attempt here to throw some more light on First Classness (FC) as the fundamental organisational principle of Nature, a concept like Virtue as expounded by the Stoics.

      First classness (FC) as the proposition

      P: “Everything is of the same stuff”

      That you propose is too simplistic.

      It reminds me of a paper entitled “Stoic gunk” by Daniel Nolan, that I find most misleading.

      I prefer the proposition

      Q: “Everything is of the same organisational substance”

      and that this only applies to the organism or entity in question.

      Applied to yourself as a biological, conscious organism, for example, your being is capable of distinguishing what is you and of you as distinct to what is not. What pertains to you is undoubtedly all of the same organisational stuff, the organisational stuff involved in the organisation and maintenance of your self – both physically and mentally. That is the good stuff. What does not pertain to your sustenance and being is either bad or indifferent. The organisational principle of the substance is based on FC.

      In its most generic form, the FC principle demands that the organism (you) is not under the influence of any nefarious a priori determined principle of any kind whatsoever. The principle of FC demands that the system be totally unconstrained. The system is constrained to be unconstrained. The only way out of this apparent paradox is that the organism organises itself in such a way that FC is not violated. FC is thus not a given, but must be continually produced and maintained. The end result is an organism which has a will of its own, and not a will of something or someone else – free will, if you like. The irony is that this “free-will” driven organism has absolutely no choice in the matter. It is a question of either free will or oblivion.

      In my book, I attempt to show how the generic code is the algebra of FC. If you want a code that demands at every twist and turn, that nothing be absolutely more important than all else, then there is only one solution, the genetic code. One solution, one code. People talk about evolution and many people even believe that the genetic code evolved like everything else. I actual fact the evidence shows that the genetic code has not changed over billions of years. Everything changes but the genetic code stays forever the same, from the year dot – if not before.

      The genetic code has four letters. A general rule is that all systems based on FC, even in a limited way, are based on four fold structure. You mention Object Oriented OO programming systems of which LISA was the first. That is a good example. For an OO system, proposition Q above becomes “Everything is an object,” where an object is defined as being an instance of a class. FC always introduces paradoxes. In order to avoid a contradiction, classes must themselves be objects. They are called meta-classes.Then it goes on.  A meta-class is an instance of a meta-meta-class. One might think that this leads to an Aristotle style infinite regress, but this is not the case. When you get down to building these systems you find that the meta-meta-class is not an instance of a meta-meta-meta-class. Instead, it is simply an instance of itself. The meta-meta-class is both object and class, depending on context. The regress stops there, leaving in its wake, four different types of organisational substance. I have studied many, many examples of this before working out the common plan.

      The story is both simple but complex. The learning curve is a long but gentle one. That is why I give so many practical examples in my book.

      I hope this helps.

      One of my favorites is explaining the four fold structure of the universal religions. The four fold structure of Virtue is another.

      Regards Douglas

    • Show all 54 messages in this topic