35679Re: [stoics] Contemplation of Death

  • Dave Kelly
    Mar 1, 2014
      "Let him not desire to die, let him not desire to live; let him wait for (his appointed) time, as a servant (waits) for the payment of his wages" (The Laws of Manu, VI.45).

      Here is my attempt at providing a simple argument on which to base the practice of the "meditation on death" (melete thanatou).

      1. Desiring things out of our control
      is irrational.

      2. Life is not in our control.

      3. Desiring life (to live) is irrational.

      4. The only thing actually good is virtue.

      5. Since virtue is an act of will, it is in our control.

      6. Ergo, anything that is not in our control is
      never good.

      7. Desiring life (to live)  is irrational, since it involves false judgment.

      Subject everything to judgment.
      Accept everything that happens.
      Do everything for the common good.

      On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM, <ptypes@...> wrote:

      Don has uploaded a sample chapter from his new book "Teach Yourself Stoicism", a link to which you can find here:
      http://philosophy-of-cbt.com/2014/02/23/contemplation-of-death-sample-chapter-from-teach-yourself-stoicism-2013/

      This is an excerpt:

      Self-assessment: Stoic attitudes toward death

      Before reading this chapter, rate how strongly you agree with the following statements, using the five-point (1-5) scale below, and then re-rate your attitudes once you’ve read and digested the contents.

      1. Strongly disagree, 2. Disagree, 3. Neither agree nor disagree, 4. Agree, 5. Strongly agree

      1. “Dying doesn’t frighten me very much.”   (  )

      2. “It’s more important to have lived a good life than a long life.”   (  )

      3. “Life and death are not intrinsically good or bad; it depends how we use them.”   (  )

      Subject everything to judgment.

      --
      Subject everything to judgment.
      Accept everything that happens.