35677Contemplation of Death

  • ptypes
    Feb 27, 2014

      Don has uploaded a sample chapter from his new book "Teach Yourself Stoicism", a link to which you can find here:

      This is an excerpt:

      Self-assessment: Stoic attitudes toward death

      Before reading this chapter, rate how strongly you agree with the following statements, using the five-point (1-5) scale below, and then re-rate your attitudes once you’ve read and digested the contents.

      1. Strongly disagree, 2. Disagree, 3. Neither agree nor disagree, 4. Agree, 5. Strongly agree

      1. “Dying doesn’t frighten me very much.”   (  )

      2. “It’s more important to have lived a good life than a long life.”   (  )

      3. “Life and death are not intrinsically good or bad; it depends how we use them.”   (  )

      Best wishes,

      Subject everything to judgment.

      Accept everything that happens.

      Do everything for the common good.