35670Re: [stoics] RE: Thoughts and Reactions

  • Richard
    Feb 20, 2014
      mnl1969@...

      «Bad things don't happen to us, just as good things don't happen to us. Things happen. We respond.»

      Indeed - recall:

      "There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."
      - William Shakespeare

      Which seems to be somewhat related to:

      ""It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."
      - Epictetus

      Meaning - we humans get to decide "good and bad". This idea even goes back to the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" in the Bible narrative.
      Regards, Richard
      Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems
      ~ Epictetus
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic