35669RE: Thoughts and Reactions

  • marclarkin
    Feb 20, 2014
      I can't help thinking that this misses the point. Bad things don't happen to us, just as good things don't happen to us. Things happen. We respond. The first aspect of our response is to frame thoughts about what has happened. the second part of our response is to act/feel on the basis of these thoughts. It is only at the first stage of our response that external things are characterised as good or bad and this is inherently in error. At best these things may be preferred or dispreferred. As externals they cannot, by definition, ever be actually good or bad. The path to happiness involves acting virtuously and not erroneously ascribing goodness or badness to externals in the first place.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic