Santarchy Date....(a long missive)

  • Kung-Fu-Rabbit
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2008
      While I don't want to turn the Santarchy date into some big
      controversial topic, I am going to chime in here with my two cents.

      From what I have read, the only real reasons why the 20th is the
      current date was the availability of the school bus for private
      transportation and the pending road construction. While I agree that
      the use of public transportation has been problematic in the past,
      especially later at night, it has also always been one of the best
      parts of Santarchy. Riding the bus or Metro in full regalia at various
      stages of inebriation throughout the day was always an adventure.
      Waiting at the various stops always made time for fun, clandestine
      flask use, great timing for a quick smoke, and excellent opportunities
      to interact with the public. Yes the school bus would be "convenient,"
      but would it really be Santarchy without the ritual of public
      transportation?

      Regarding the road construction information that was posted earlier
      using this link as a reference:
      http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/special/navigatinghighway40.nsf/story/980CE0A91021FA5B8625739A0022B9DB?OpenDocument
      The story at the link is from 2007... If I am misreading and there is
      actually going to be construction at Kingshighway this year...so be
      it. That phase of the Hwy 40 rebuild is starting whether we like it or
      not, and will still be occurring on the 20th as well, I'd assume.

      Now, we all know that Santarchy is actually a two day event...one day
      to be Santa, and one day to sleep it off. With the date being set on
      the 20th, Sunday the 21st is gone as well....that really doesn't leave
      much time for last minute Christmas preparations. Many extended
      families gather together the weekend before Christmas, allowing
      smaller, immediate family gatherings on Christmas eve and Christmas
      day. If one were planning to travel over the holidays, the
      weekend/week before is probably when most people would be planning to
      leave. Then there is the issue of those that work in retail. Having
      been in that unenviable position myself in the past, I can attest that
      the weekend/week before Christmas is a time that is nearly impossible
      to take off of work, and while at work, you had better not be hungover
      because its going to be hell if you are.

      Lastly, I would like to also mention that many workplaces tend to hold
      their holiday parties the Saturday before Christmas. I know that mine
      does, as well as Cheryl's. I know that we have several school and
      workplace acquaintances that are excited about the prospect of their
      first Santarchy, that would likely be unable to attend on the 20th.
      While it would be theoretically possible to do multiple events, it
      would mean being unable to enjoy Santarchy the way it should be enjoyed.

      If there are reasons for choosing the 20th over the 13th that I am
      unaware of, I am sorry. I can only base this argument on what I have
      read on this board. Yes, my reasons for writing this are entirely
      selfish- I want Cheryl and I to be able to go to Santarchy 2008, all
      day, all night, the full, interactive, inebriated experience. I want
      to see all of my Santarchy friends decked out in their red and white
      finery, wreaking havoc across the countryside. It saddens me to think
      that I may not get to sing refrains of the never ending "You Better
      Watch Out!" or hear the infamout cry of "HO HO HO, SANTA'S GOTTA GO!"
      If the 20th remains the chosen date, then I am afraid that this sad
      eventuality will come to pass.

      Enough ranting from me for now, sorry for the length,
      Kung-Fu-Rabbit
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2008
        I agree, what about parking the bus at a way point where public
        transport becomes flaky, like union station, from there the bus could
        take us to south grand then the grove then soulard or some other mash
        up

        --
        Sent from my mobile device

        "They are not jackbooted Nazi thugs. They are merely German policemen
        in spiffy uniforms here to help us."
        - Vichy government (1941 - 1945)
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2008

          I posted the travel advisory for those who drive to the santarchy venues rather than take public transit, and to be aware of it in planning bus routes.

          It was not intended to sway the date.  Sorry it was outdated.  Maybe THE santa will bring me new tri-focals.

          And I speculated the choice of the 20th may have been selected to accommodate the bus – I’m pretty sure there were many reasons.

          Some of them probably valid (ouch – mostly kidding, but a little unhappy).  The late date still makes it a deal stopper for many santas..

          I don’t think the bus is intended to replace public transit, but to enable late night transportation with out waiting on buses that are on/off an hourly schedule.

          So there will still be plenty of mass transit interaction early in the day when shoppers and kids will be co-riders.

          My concerns with the bus would be the possibility of having more santas than will squeeze on.  But with the choice of the 20th, I don’t think that will be an issue.

          We are trying to make the official date, but if we can not make certain arrangements, we will not be in attendance for 2008.

          I don’t want to see a split of santarchy into 2 dates.  But rather than be archy-less, I may have to do a small alt-archy with friends on the previous weekend.

          No matter what we each decide to do, I ho-ho-hope everyone has a truly magical holiday.

          - this santa don’t need no padding.

        • James E. Semar, CEBS
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2008
            also, as many have done in the past, a truncated SanTarchY is an option
          • Michelle Vollmar Powers
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2008

              yes, Yes, YES!  I mean, HO, HO, HO!  I agree, and with the same tone and intent.  Although I think I’m one of the lucky ones, because I can at least make it, but will be on my own – God only knows what will become of me.  Ho, ho, uh-oh!

              If anarchy was easy, everyone would be doing it-uhm, so to speak.  But what about all those good (and bad) little boys and girls that might not get a visit from santa?  Brings a little scotch tear to my eye : (  Last year just wouldn’t have been the same without all those kids at the tattoo parlor -- and I mean that!  The only saving grace is that I know we will be going places that some can hitchhike, bus, (train), or yellow cab (santa bus) it.  I already miss everyone who can’t make it, seriously; and, I know that my drinking for you won’t make you feel any better, but it will make me miss you more…I mean, forget that I miss you more.  I hope something changes, so you all can make it.  I’m a dreamer, what can I say.  The sled must go on…

              Jingle my bells,

              Michelvis