Burning Man BLM EA Comments needed!!!!!!

  • Man Babe and LLB (Jewel)
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      WE NEED YOUR HELP...NOW!

      CALL TO ACTION: VOICE YOUR OPINION TO THE BLM ABOUT ARBITRARY AND
      UNJUSTIFIED FEE INCREASES

      http://www.burningman.com/news/blm_news_06.html

      Please read the info at this site and write a letter like mine.

      Please reach out to every Burner you know and ask the to do the same.

      This is the letter I just wrote:

      Dave Cooper, National Conservation Area Manager
      Bureau of Land Management
      Winnemucca Field Office
      5100 East Winnemucca Boulevard
      Winnemucca, NV 89445-2921
      (775) 623-1516
      Dave_Cooper@...

      Dear Mr. Cooper:

      I am an environmental scientist and work full time to restore the
      Truckee River. This will be my 4th year at Burning Man. I am truly
      amazed at how well the people who attend this event respect and treat
      the Black Rock Desert. I am also amazed at how well people treat each
      other and respect each other at this event. There is very very little
      crime at this event. I whish our regular society behaved like this.
      The world would be a much better and more peaceful place. I do not
      see the need for so much law enforcement? The Black Rock belongs to
      the people and we are making proper and good use of it. We pay your
      salary and you work for us. Your increases in fees for this event are
      not justified and they are wrong.

      The following is a canned letter drafted by Burning Man Staff. It
      covers the issues at hand very well and I agree with it 100%. So let
      me echo those words to you as if they were my own:

      Thank you for cooperating with Burning Man over the years. You have
      helped to enrich my life by making the Burning Man event a reality.
      I enjoy being able to use my public lands for recreation and self-
      _expression as a Burning Man participant. Moreover, I support
      Burning Man as the largest Leave No Trace event in the world.

      I am troubled by the BLM's plan to charge Burning Man even more money
      this year. The BLM already gets over $700,000 from Burning Man, which
      is more than sufficient. I want to voice my opinion that this plan
      is not what the users of public land want. I see the BLM's plan to
      charge Burning Man for local law enforcement costs and staff working
      at the event as the government's way of unfairly eroding the
      cooperation between Burning Man and the BLM.

      The Federal Land Policy Management and Management Act (43 U.S.C.
      section 1733(d)) places the responsibility of enforcing state and
      local laws on the BLM; not on Burning Man. Also, I am appalled that
      the BLM would even consider charging fees for fundamental health and
      safety personal that are mandated by the permit to work at Burning
      Man, and who do not purchase a ticket to the event.

      The organizers of Burning Man do an incredible job of providing the
      entire necessary infrastructure for a large temporary city. I see no
      valid reasons to cap the population of Black Rock City. I think this
      attempt is arbitrary and capricious.

      Burning Man is an extremely orderly and organized event. I believe
      it is the greatest experiment in self-policing community in the
      world, and it would be difficult for the BLM to disagree with that
      statement. Furthermore, the Black Rock Rangers do an excellent job
      of keeping the event safe. I strongly oppose the BLM's plan to
      dictate who the organizers must evict from Black Rock City.

      In summary, please remove the stipulations requiring Burning Man to
      pay for local law enforcement and staff at the event. Also, please
      remove the population cap and the stipulation about evictions. Thank
      you.

      Sincerely,

      Mike Brisbin
      1404 Goldfield Ave