Re: [stlouis_santarchy] georgette-murdock298 banned

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006

      Moderation in all things.

      From: "Tom Chapin" <tjc@...>
      To: <stlouis_santarchy@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [stlouis_santarchy] georgette-murdock298 banned
      Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 04:21:00 -0500

      >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off

      No, not really.  The groups I own never get spam.  Ever.  Because I have
      them on "initial moderation".  Easy to do.  Then as soon as someone
      sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
      them off.  It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
      for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
      ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
      email address faster than you can ban them).

      Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
      moderated, so they don't even try.  Never had a spam in groups that had
      initial moderation set.

      Burning manSanta suitBurning man festival