Re: [stlouis_santarchy] georgette-murdock298 banned

  • Tom Chapin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006
      >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group. Its a trade off

      No, not really. The groups I own never get spam. Ever. Because I have
      them on "initial moderation". Easy to do. Then as soon as someone
      sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
      them off. It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
      for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
      ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
      email address faster than you can ban them).

      Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
      moderated, so they don't even try. Never had a spam in groups that had
      initial moderation set.

      Tom
    • Chris Nubel
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006
        I will suggest this to Lohr, who is the owner of the group.  I'm just a lowly moderator and don't want to change the group settings without his OK.  But it sounds like a good idea to me.

        Tom Chapin <tjc@...> wrote:
        >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off

        No, not really.  The groups I own never get spam.  Ever.  Because I have
        them on "initial moderation".  Easy to do.  Then as soon as someone
        sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
        them off.  It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
        for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
        ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
        email address faster than you can ban them).

        Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
        moderated, so they don't even try.  Never had a spam in groups that had
        initial moderation set.

        Tom

        Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006
          Yeah replying to any email like that will only compromise your email address to the spammer. No matter how much you don't like spam you should never reply to the spammer because then you have just shown the spammer that you are a human being with a working email address. This will only get you more spam in the future. Now that the malcontent knows your email addy he/she can add it to their list of "working email addresses" to sell to other spammers or use themselves. The best method is to just not accept the bad gift. Delete it then move on.

          Tom Chapin <tjc@...> wrote:
          >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off

          No, not really.  The groups I own never get spam.  Ever.  Because I have
          them on "initial moderation".  Easy to do.  Then as soon as someone
          sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
          them off.  It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
          for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
          ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
          email address faster than you can ban them).

          Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
          moderated, so they don't even try.  Never had a spam in groups that had
          initial moderation set.

          Tom

          Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

             Visit your group "stlouis_santarchy" on the web.

              If you will suck my soul, I will lick your funky emotions. G Clinton
              Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006

                Moderation in all things.

                 Babs

                From: "Tom Chapin" <tjc@...>
                To: <stlouis_santarchy@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: Re: [stlouis_santarchy] georgette-murdock298 banned
                Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 04:21:00 -0500

                >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off

                No, not really.  The groups I own never get spam.  Ever.  Because I have
                them on "initial moderation".  Easy to do.  Then as soon as someone
                sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
                them off.  It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
                for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
                ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
                email address faster than you can ban them).

                Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
                moderated, so they don't even try.  Never had a spam in groups that had
                initial moderation set.

                Tom

                Burning manSanta suitBurning man festival

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS