Re: [stlouis_santarchy] georgette-murdock298 banned

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 16 7:21 PM
      we seem to be attracting the wrong ho's!

        This is because St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off, everyone who has an interest can see what you're about and sometimes you get the spammers.  Its easy enough to kick them out when they get in so its not a problem.  I think most of the spam comes from software that searches yahoo for open groups, subscribes, and then sends spam.  I don't really think there is an acutal person you can reply to.

        Chris

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 16 9:29 PM

          i was just trying to make a punny.

           life is full of spam.  when i rule the world, those responsible will be asked to leave the planet.

           Babs

          Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Tom Chapin
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17 2:21 AM
            >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group. Its a trade off

            No, not really. The groups I own never get spam. Ever. Because I have
            them on "initial moderation". Easy to do. Then as soon as someone
            sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
            them off. It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
            for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
            ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
            email address faster than you can ban them).

            Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
            moderated, so they don't even try. Never had a spam in groups that had
            initial moderation set.

            Tom
          • Chris Nubel
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17 6:30 AM
              I will suggest this to Lohr, who is the owner of the group.  I'm just a lowly moderator and don't want to change the group settings without his OK.  But it sounds like a good idea to me.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 17 6:49 AM
                Yeah replying to any email like that will only compromise your email address to the spammer. No matter how much you don't like spam you should never reply to the spammer because then you have just shown the spammer that you are a human being with a working email address. This will only get you more spam in the future. Now that the malcontent knows your email addy he/she can add it to their list of "working email addresses" to sell to other spammers or use themselves. The best method is to just not accept the bad gift. Delete it then move on.

                Tom Chapin <tjc@...> wrote:
                >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off

                No, not really.  The groups I own never get spam.  Ever.  Because I have
                them on "initial moderation".  Easy to do.  Then as soon as someone
                sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
                them off.  It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
                for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
                ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
                email address faster than you can ban them).

                Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
                moderated, so they don't even try.  Never had a spam in groups that had
                initial moderation set.

                Tom

                Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                   Visit your group "stlouis_santarchy" on the web.

                    If you will suck my soul, I will lick your funky emotions. G Clinton
                    Message 7 of 8 , Apr 17 8:38 AM

                      Moderation in all things.

                       Babs

                      From: "Tom Chapin" <tjc@...>
                      To: <stlouis_santarchy@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 04:21:00 -0500

                      >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off

                      No, not really.  The groups I own never get spam.  Ever.  Because I have
                      them on "initial moderation".  Easy to do.  Then as soon as someone
                      sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
                      them off.  It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
                      for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
                      ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
                      email address faster than you can ban them).

                      Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
                      moderated, so they don't even try.  Never had a spam in groups that had
                      initial moderation set.

                      Tom

                      Burning manSanta suitBurning man festival

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS