georgette-murdock298 banned

  • Chris Nubel
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 16, 2006
      georgette-murdock298@... has been banned for spamming.

      Ho Ho Ho
      Chris
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 16, 2006
        we seem to be attracting the wrong ho's!

          This is because St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off, everyone who has an interest can see what you're about and sometimes you get the spammers.  Its easy enough to kick them out when they get in so its not a problem.  I think most of the spam comes from software that searches yahoo for open groups, subscribes, and then sends spam.  I don't really think there is an acutal person you can reply to.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 16, 2006

            i was just trying to make a punny.

             life is full of spam.  when i rule the world, those responsible will be asked to leave the planet.

             Babs

            Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Tom Chapin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006
              >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group. Its a trade off

              No, not really. The groups I own never get spam. Ever. Because I have
              them on "initial moderation". Easy to do. Then as soon as someone
              sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
              them off. It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
              for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
              ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
              email address faster than you can ban them).

              Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
              moderated, so they don't even try. Never had a spam in groups that had
              initial moderation set.

              Tom
            • Chris Nubel
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006
                I will suggest this to Lohr, who is the owner of the group.  I'm just a lowly moderator and don't want to change the group settings without his OK.  But it sounds like a good idea to me.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006
                  Yeah replying to any email like that will only compromise your email address to the spammer. No matter how much you don't like spam you should never reply to the spammer because then you have just shown the spammer that you are a human being with a working email address. This will only get you more spam in the future. Now that the malcontent knows your email addy he/she can add it to their list of "working email addresses" to sell to other spammers or use themselves. The best method is to just not accept the bad gift. Delete it then move on.

                  Tom Chapin <tjc@...> wrote:
                  >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off

                  No, not really.  The groups I own never get spam.  Ever.  Because I have
                  them on "initial moderation".  Easy to do.  Then as soon as someone
                  sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
                  them off.  It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
                  for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
                  ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
                  email address faster than you can ban them).

                  Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
                  moderated, so they don't even try.  Never had a spam in groups that had
                  initial moderation set.

                  Tom

                  Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                     Visit your group "stlouis_santarchy" on the web.

                      If you will suck my soul, I will lick your funky emotions. G Clinton
                      Message 8 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006

                        Moderation in all things.

                         Babs

                        From: "Tom Chapin" <tjc@...>
                        To: <stlouis_santarchy@yahoogroups.com>
                        Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 04:21:00 -0500

                        >St. Louis Santarchy is an open group.  Its a trade off

                        No, not really.  The groups I own never get spam.  Ever.  Because I have
                        them on "initial moderation".  Easy to do.  Then as soon as someone
                        sends a posting that shows they are a human instead of a spambot, I take
                        them off.  It takes about 30 seconds (or less after you get used to it)
                        for each new member, which is less time than it takes to find them and
                        ban them (and banning is useless anyway because they can make a new
                        email address faster than you can ban them).

                        Best part is the spammers already know which groups are initially
                        moderated, so they don't even try.  Never had a spam in groups that had
                        initial moderation set.

                        Tom

                        Burning manSanta suitBurning man festival

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS