Fw: ARTICA CALL TO ARTISTS DEADLINE SEPT. 11TH!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2010
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: nita_turnage <Artica2003@...>
      To: criticalmass@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, September 9, 2010 9:26:02 AM
      Subject: (criticalmass) ARTICA CALL TO ARTISTS DEADLINE SEPT. 11TH!

      Just a reminder that the deadline for the call to artists for Artica 2010:
      Return of the Mound Builders is this Saturday, September 11th!

      ARTICA
      CALL TO ARTISTS!!!!

      ARTICA 2010: RETURN OF THE MOUND BUILDERS

      Important Deadlines:

      APPLICATION DEADLINE:  September 11, 2010  (materials must be received on, not
      post marked,  by this date.)

      FESTIVAL DATE:  Saturday, October 9 from noon to midnight and Sunday, October 10
      from noon to 8:00pm

      Artists, musicians, poets, performers and creative citizens are invited to
      participate in Artica 2010. Artica is a multi-media, outdoor participatory

      arts festival developed to provide the people of the St. Louis metropolitan area
      with the opportunity to come together as a community through creative
      self-expression.
      Artica's philosophy is one of openness and inclusion. All are welcome to create,
      participate and celebrate on this sacred heritage site.

      WHEN AND WHERE
      Artica 2010 will take place on Saturday, October 9 from noon to midnight and
      Sunday, October 10 from noon to 8:00pm in the area around
      Dickson and Lewis Streets north of the Gateway Arch.

      VESSEL AWARDS
      The Vessel Awards are monetary honorariums awarded to individuals or
      collaborative teams for art proposals and will be selected by jury.

      The amounts will depend upon the amount of funding available
      and the nature of the projects.

      Proposals must meet the following guidelines and artists responsibilities:

      GUIDELINES

      Although we welcome all manner of ideas and projects, particular consideration
      will be given to works that are in some way interactive, participatory or
      landscape-oriented and hold relevance to the

      history of this area or the Mississippi River.

      The organizers reserve the right to refuse any proposal that may be harmful or
      dangerous to the environment, wildlife or humans.

      All work will be exposed to the elements and unprotected from scavengers and
      vandals.

      Be aware that this area is in constant development and decay. Your selected site
      may change at any time. Please be flexible.

      All elements involving fire will require a special fire permit, safety plans and
      approval from the Artica organizers.

      ARTISTS' RESPONSIBILITIES

      FINANCIAL
      All artists are responsible for any expenses incurred in creating, producing,
      installing, maintaining and removing their work.

      ARTWORK REMOVAL
      After the festival, artists may choose to remove their work or leave it on the
      site. Controlled and beautiful decay can be a beautiful and valid artistic
      statement. However artists should be respectful of public and private property
      and of safety issues.

      SPECIAL NEEDS
      Anyone requiring special needs such as water, generators, electricity, lighting,
      projection, sound systems, etc. must provide their own equipment and have the
      expertise to operate such equipment in an outdoor environment, as well as
      coordinate the set up and use of said equipment with the organizers of Artica.

      SPECIAL SOLUTIONS
      There may be other artists who require the same needs and are willing to share
      expenses, responsibility and expertise. The organizers will do their best to
      create a contact network of artists for sharing resources.

      CLEAN UP
      This is a leave no trace event, other than art and goodwill. Our goal is to
      leave the Artica area cleaner that we found it. We want to create a positive
      impact on this community not only with our art but also with our behavior.
      Therefore it is the responsibility of all artists to participate in cleanup
      activities.

      SITE VISITS
      It is highly recommended that artists tour the Artica site before making any
      proposals. This area always changes and has changed dramatically since we were
      last here. We have scheduled a site visit for Sunday, August 22 at 2:00pm. You
      may tour the site at your own convenience and a map and directions are available
      upon request.

      APPLICATION

      Deadline for Application is September 11, 2010 (Materials must be received, not
      postmarked, by this date.)

      It's easy.

      We want:
      Name, address, phone number and email address
      A brief bio of you and your work
      A simple written description of your proposed project
      A visual or aural depiction of your proposed project if appropriate
      Documentation of past work

      You may send jpgs or a link to your web site to artica2003@...
      Or
      You may send slides,cds, dvds, video tapes, audio tapes, color copies with a
      self-addressed envelope and the appropriate postage to guarantee the return of
      materials to:

      Artica 2010
      P.O. Box 1857
      St. Louis, MO 63118

      Critical Mass is a nonprofit, self-formed visual arts collaborative dedicated to
      promoting, enhancing and initiating contemporary visual art in the St. Louis
      region.