Artistic components

  • feyqueenmab
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2009
      This is Tricia, and I was the Toymaker Elf at Santarchy this year. Since I know that all of you are artists who work in many different kinds of media, I thought it would be appropriate to post this information here.

      As I'm sure many of you are aware, I work for Jackman's Fabrics on Lindbergh.

      I have two opportunities to share with everyone!

      Opportunity 1: Artistic parts
      We repair sewing machines, but sometimes one comes through that can't be repaired and the customer does not want it back. Most of these are older Singer models, and it being the end of the year, Jackman's is going to dispose of these broken machines.
      None of them will sew, none are operational. However, a sewing machine by its very nature is filled with GEARS, COGS, and the like. If you're working on art projects in the post-modern industrial or steampunk genres and want machine parts, this is a grand opportunity!
      Let me know if you are interested in all or part of one of these machines. They DO NOT SEW, but some of their mechanical parts still function.

      Opportunity 2:
      Some of you are either sewing already or aspire to sew. Right now we have good news and better news for anyone considering acquiring a sewing machine. We carry machines that handle heavy fabrics like fur and leather and denim (just ask Cherry/LoliSanta!)
      Jackman's Fabrics has three locations: Fairview Heights, Lindbergh between Page and Olive, and Watson Road at McKenzie Point Plaza. We own two of our buildings, but the Watson Rd. location is in a strip mall and we lost our lease.
      The good news: the Store Closing Sale has already begun and there are machines (sewing, embroidery, overlock) available for "everything must go" sale!
      The Better News: Jackman's Fabrics is still going strong, so you can still get your lifetime lessons from either of our current locations, OR at any future locations!
      Now is the perfect time to acquire a sewing/embroidery/overlock machine and also get all the training you need to master its mysteries! As I said, these machines (Babylock Brand) are sturdy workhorses and the embroidery machines are remarkably easy to work with. Babylock invented the home serger and have led the industry ever since. (Babylock Sergers thread themselves now, and don't use "tension" dials!!!)

      If you wish to speak to me about machines or other work-related ideas, feel free to contact me at work: (314)994-1060.
      I'm at the Lindbergh location, usually.

      --Tricia