RE: [stleampunk] Hi everyone!

  • Tricia Overkamp
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2011
      We were too big for Westport, but with the problems we had two years ago it was necessary to move.

      So, we are going back to the original format that we used for the first two years: We're serving tea in the Hospitality suite.
      Advantages: Complete control over our menu. We can start setting up whenever we want to. Tables and chairs already available and set up.
      Disadvantages: LESS space than two years ago at the convention center. We have to provide our own cups and hot water. (At the convention center, they provided the hot water and cups.)

      As such, I am going to have to serve tea in disposable styrofoam cups. I do not have the resources to wash china.

      Therefore: Please feel free to bring your own teacup (and saucer) to the Mad Scientists' Tea Party this year!

      As for the tiny room, it is actually a very nice room, I just get over 200 people who want to come to the party these days. The room was perfect in many other ways, such as providing me with a sink/kitchenette! (I will not have access to such at the hotel.) Also, we will not be having the hotel/convention center providing cups and water. On the other hand, that was another "Fail" on the part of the hotel last year: They provided us with two urns of COFFEE and we didn't know this until we went to serve. If I'd been able to open on time, it probably would have worked much better, but I had to get them to replace the coffee with hot water, and then the hot water tasted like coffee.

      So I'm glad to get control back, it just means a heck of a lot more work for me.
      :D

      To: stleampunk@yahoogroups.com
      From: wren378@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:21:27 -0700
      Subject: RE: [stleampunk] Hi everyone!

      Hopefully you will get a bigger room this year.  Last year we were so crammed into that tiny room, I hurried through my tea and left.  I'd also be willing to help out with the setup this year.  Overall that hotel was horrible.  I'm glad they are going back to collinsville.

      From: katherynekavanagh@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:12:44 -0500

      Welcome!  Hope you enjoy this group as much as we do!

      Karin

      On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:09 PM, wren378 <wren378@...> wrote:

      Hi. I'm new around here. I've been interested in steampunk for several years now and I always look forward to attending the mad scientist tea party at Archon. I wish I'd found this group sooner. Some of the get togethers in August sounded awesome. Hope to see everyone around!

    • Wren
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2011
        If the popularity of the tea party keeps up, I say we bump the art exhibition to a smaller room and take over that ballroom.  We have more "guns" than the artists anyway.  I'm sure they would see reason.

        From: wren378@...
        Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:21:27 -0700

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2011
          Heh, you're assuming there isn't significant overlap between artists and steampunkers.

          In a battle, I think I'd have to side with the Artists giving them 5 guns, Biscuits, a sonic screwdriver, Marmite, and a Time Traveling Device: More than enough provisions to ensure that everything has played out exactly as it already has in both the past and the future.

          From: wren378@...
          Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:21:27 -0700

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2011
            LOL you mean take over the Art Show? I doubt that a single event that costs the convention money will replace the Art Show that runs all weekend and generates LOTS of money for the con. :)

            Having worked on staff for Archon on and off over the years, I understand how hard it is to get all the programming crammed in.

            I'll talk to Beth Bancroft about it after this year, though. We may need a larger space, and perhaps we could coordinate with the Steampunk Fashion show (having the tea party flow into the Show) in a larger space.

            Part of the trick is dealing with the catering element. Hotels and convention centers have rules about outside food. Typically, they prevent outside catering as much as possible, and you wind up either paying them a fee to bring in your own caterer (or do it yourself) or you have to pay the hotel's catering fees. We've been little weasels with this tea party each year. The first year I just set up in hospitality, and since there were less than 20 people that first year at NASFiC it was perfect. Since Hospitality has a deal with the hotel to serve our own food and drink it worked out well.
            The second year was in Hospitality again, and the only thing that didn't work well was that I cannot close the room for set-up. This year, I will HAVE to close the room for set-up due to our awesome entertainment in the form of Tea Ceremony. (And I'm still hammering out the details for this.)
            The third year, they moved us to the Convention Center because we were no longer doing any programming in the main hotel. This presented an interesting problem as the Convention Center is rabid about NO OUTSIDE FOOD. However, Sheila Lenkman managed to get us a loophole: The convention center could not provide the menu I required. This is called "Right of First Refusal" and it means that because the catering company can't provide the things we require, we get to bring in outside food. However, we DID still have to pay for hot water urns, cups, and the sugar/creamer stuff. But Archon was willing to foot the bill for that.

            Personally, that was my favorite year, because I finally had enough space!

            The following year was last year in the room that was awesome, but as you say, too small for the crowd.

            I think that the Archon staff is finally getting it through their heads that Steampunk is a large sub-genre, not a tiny one. The Fashion show the first year was crammed into one of the smaller "conference" rooms, for example. Last year they gave it a much better space (even though I missed it. Sniff.)

            To: stleampunk@yahoogroups.com
            From: wren378@...
            Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:21:30 -0700

            From: wren378@...
            Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:21:27 -0700

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2011
              I went to the fashion show last year.  It was very nice and had a great turn out.  I'm excited to see the tea ceremony.  I can never afford to pay for one at the Japanese festival.  I'll be there again this year with my almond milk and pecan sandies like always.

              From: wren378@...
              Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:21:30 -0700

              From: wren378@...
              Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:21:27 -0700

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2011
                Yay almond milk and sandies! NOMNOMNOM XD

                I have a similar hot water heater to the one Tricia has, so at least we can do double duty on that. And I have lots of teapots. Need to figure out what else to bring (should I bring scones again? Did I mention I have a scone zombie because of Archon last year?) I can also bring some Teavanna goodness (actually I have a gift card from my bday I'm willing to put towards the tea party). I have the orange blossom, which is caffeine free... and samurai chai and mint cacao, but that's 'cause Tricia supplied my initial fix of them (Tea Pusher, lol ;D)

                -PD!

                --- In stleampunk@yahoogroups.com, Wren <wren378@...> wrote:

                > I went to the fashion show last year.  It was very nice and had a great turn out.  I'm excited to see the tea ceremony.  I can never afford to pay for one at the Japanese festival.  I'll be there again this year with my almond milk and pecan sandies like always.

              • Nora
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 2011
                  Since someone brought it up...

                  The Annual Regular (We-do-this-every-year-right?) Steampunk Fashion Show will run again this year!!!

                  Don't know what time or even day yet (probably Friday evening) but I'll keep you informed as I get details.

                  And who knows what we'll see this year? Every time it's different, every year it's better!

                  Nora Mai

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                    Yes, there will be a SP Fashion show - Friday night at 9:50 in the La Salle room.
                    I know it's a really bad time - somehow they don't see it as a success, continue to f with the scheduling of it & it won't be any longer.

                    But I hope some/most of you will still show up to support the cause. Spread the word! It's a little bit Fashion Show, a little bit improv!

                    Nora

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                      Oh, good! I might actually be able to get to it this year. :)

                      To: stleampunk@yahoogroups.com
                      From: von_drago@...
                      Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 00:47:49 +0000
                      Subject: [stleampunk] Re: SP Fashion Show

                      Yes, there will be a SP Fashion show - Friday night at 9:50 in the La Salle room.
                      I know it's a really bad time - somehow they don't see it as a success, continue to f with the scheduling of it & it won't be any longer.

                      But I hope some/most of you will still show up to support the cause. Spread the word! It's a little bit Fashion Show, a little bit improv!

                      Nora

                      --- In stleampunk@yahoogroups.com, "Nora" <von_drago@...> wrote:

                      > Since someone brought it up...
                      >
                      > The Annual Regular (We-do-this-every-year-right?) Steampunk Fashion Show will run again this year!!!
                      >
                      > Don't know what time or even day yet (probably Friday evening) but I'll keep you informed as I get details.
                      >
                      > And who knows what we'll see this year? Every time it's different, every year it's better!
                      >
                      > Nora Mai
                      >
                      > --- In stleampunk@yahoogroups.com, Tricia Overkamp <tkoverkamp@> wrote:
                      > > The Fashion show the first year was crammed into one of the smaller "conference" rooms, for example. Last year they gave it a much better space (even though I missed it. Sniff.)

                    • Me
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                        Just tell me day and time, I'll drag as many friends as possible. And are they paying attention to dragon con??  They had an article on CNN about the phenomenon of steampunk at dragon con....CNN!!!!! Two guys built a DIY zeppelin for cripes sake

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        To: stleampunk@yahoogroups.com
                        From: von_drago@...
                        Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 00:47:49 +0000

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                          Sorry about that, didn't see previous email with day and time.  Do u have the full program or did they just give you your panels info? I wish they would post it already, I like to overplan my activities.

                          To: stleampunk@yahoogroups.com
                          From: von_drago@...
                          Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 00:47:49 +0000

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 8, 2011
                            I have inside information :) don't know when it will actually get posted.