Tricia Teaches a class about PANTS!

  • Tricia Overkamp
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
      Hey there!

      I finally convinced my bosses at Jackman's Fabrics to let me teach costume classes! I've named this class series "Freaky Fridays" and the classes are free to Jackman's customers. We've had really successful classes for a hooded cape and a robe on Fridays in September.

      This Friday I'm teaching a free class on making simple drawstring baggy pants. This is perfect for all you Pirates who need some trousers, Rennies who need some slops, or even any of you who want to make a cute pair of PJ bottoms. You get to use our fabulous sewing machines and equipment, and learn a basic pattern so you can make pants any time you want!

      The class is this Friday, October 9th from 11am to 1pm. You will need to buy your fabric from Jackman's, but you won't need much. Plus, we have awesome fabrics on our sale tables right now! You do need to call to sign up, so call or come in and get your supply list.

      I only have a handful of people signed up for this class, so if you sign up you get to help me show the Powers That Be that there are people interested in making costumes in this town!

      Oh, and next Friday, October 16th, we're making a Tabard... and I might just let you embroider a heraldic device on the front!!

        "Freaky Friday Free Costume Classes" at Jackman's Fabrics
      1234 N. Lindbergh St. Louis, MO 63132
      (314)994-1060

    • joshua hart
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
        Tricia,

        Do they make a device that let you like make a pop stich, I seem to remeber seeing like a gun that has a neddle on it, and you stick it thought and it makes a single stitched knot, Like for holding patterns together before sewing them or like hooking on patches with 4 or 5 of them.

        Any idea of what I am talking about?  Oh btw my roommate just got a job at the jackmans in south country at luemburgh and 44, just though you would like to know.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
          There's not a Jackman's at Lindbergh and 44. Did they perhaps get a job at "Make It Sew"?

          There IS a Jackman's at McKenzie Point Plaza at Watson and McKenzie.

          There is a device that is like the gun that retail stores to add tags to merchandise. It shoots a tabbed piece of plastic through the layers to hold everything together. We do carry it.

          Did you want to take the class, too?

          To: stleampunk@yahoogroups.com
          From: clockwork_god@...
          Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:50:50 -0700
          Subject: Re: [stleampunk] Tricia Teaches a class about PANTS!

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
            What will the class be on Friday Oct 23? :)

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
              its the one off 44 near wal mart and dennys naer the old anime stl  hotel at watson

              saddy i cant make the class i will be be looking for the divece soon however

              From: clockwork_god@ yahoo.com
              Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:50:50 -0700

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
                That is not Jackmans. That is Hancocks. A Southern based company that I and Miranda have worked for seperately. Jackmans is a local company that both Trica and Nora Mai's Sister work at. :) Two different companies:)

                From: clockwork_god@ yahoo.com
                Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:50:50 -0700

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
                  Unfortunately, the Tabard is the last class. October 23rd is the day before the Anita Goodesign Embroidery party, so I'm going to be setting up a massive event all day.
                  My boss also did not want to do a class on October 30th, which suits me just fine.

                  To: stleampunk@yahoogroups.com
                  From: alphak10@...
                  Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:50:40 -0700

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 8, 2009
                    I am sad that
                    1. This happens during my work hours and
                    2. That it is so far away from me. :(

                    I totally want to make drawstring baggy pants and all the other nifty things you're making.

                    Beth is a sad panda.

                    --- In stleampunk@yahoogroups.com, Tricia Overkamp <tkoverkamp@...> wrote:

                    > Hey there!
                    >
                    > I finally convinced my bosses at Jackman's Fabrics to let me teach costume classes! I've named this class series "Freaky Fridays" and the classes are free to Jackman's customers. We've had really successful classes for a hooded cape and a robe on Fridays in September.
                    >
                    > This Friday I'm teaching a free class on making simple drawstring baggy pants. This is perfect for all you Pirates who need some trousers, Rennies who need some slops, or even any of you who want to make a cute pair of PJ bottoms. You get to use our fabulous sewing machines and equipment, and learn a basic pattern so you can make pants any time you want!
                    >
                    > The class is this Friday, October 9th from 11am to 1pm. You will need to buy your fabric from Jackman's, but you won't need much. Plus, we have awesome fabrics on our sale tables right now! You do need to call to sign up, so call or come in and get your supply list.
                    >
                    > I only have a handful of people signed up for this class, so if you sign up you get to help me show the Powers That Be that there are people interested in making costumes in this town!
                    >
                    > Oh, and next Friday, October 16th, we're making a Tabard... and I might just let you embroider a heraldic device on the front!!
                    >

                    > "Freaky Friday Free Costume Classes" at Jackman's Fabrics
                    > 1234 N. Lindbergh St. Louis, MO 63132
                    > (314)994-1060

                  • Nora
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 8, 2009
                      Sounds like what you're looking for is a quilt basting gun. It shoots a 1/4 inch tag through several layers. Something like a pricing gun for hang tags on garments but a shorter tag.

                      Nora

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 8, 2009
                        Yep, my sister is the manager at the Creve Couer store and another sister works there on evenings & weekends. I worked there myself for awhile when I was in school. Monday nights were always sisters night, anybody who worked that evening with us was an honorary sister.

                        Nora