Re: [stleampunk] I want to get the cog rolling...

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2013
      Although the standard color for steampunk seems to be brown.  Any color works and none of my outfits are brown.  The easiest outfit can be mostly bought at goodwills.  All u need is a dressy maybe button up shirt, a vest and a pair of slacks.  My first pair of goggles were welding goggles purchased from sears hardware and a can of metallic spray paint.  Walmart carries a nice variety of shiny or matt metallics.  The individual eye goggles come completely apart so u dont have to worry about getting paint on lenses.  U can paint them all same color or paint dif pieces dif colors.  U dont have to have gadgets and bling all over the place and 1/2 the fun is building up your look as u go!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 7, 2013, at 2:46 AM, <sboarder145@...> wrote:

      For the longest time I've been wanting to get into Steampunk, especially dressing the part. The only problem (well, two if you count money) is I haven't had anyone to give me a good introduction into the Steampunk realm. I want to dress up but I don't know where to begin. I fancy myself more of an adventurer type; I currently own a wind-up pocketwatch (need to fix the chain) and a compass, both brass colored. What type of clothing should I look for and where? I would prefer somewhere relatively cheap and where I can buy the outfit in pieces so I can customize it to my personality.

    • tkoverkamp
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2013

        I agree with this sentiment; Goodwill and other thrift stores are great resources.

        Sometimes the key is to find a singular amazing piece and build your outfit around that.

        For example, I have a couple of corsets that I like a great deal, and I pair them with found pieces and accessories to create new looks.

        I also love to machine embroider my found objects. I recently made a Cryptozoologist jacket out of a tan safari-styled top by embroidering the loch ness monster on the back and "cryptozoologist" on the front above the pocket.

        I also embroidered a long baby-whale courdoroy skirt that a friend had given me a while back. Urban Threads has pioneered some amazing steampunky designs, and other companies have caught on. Urban threads also has hand-embroidery patterns, too.

        I made a vest for my husband from an 1880s pattern, out of a clock-face print (though, not the one that is ubiquitous) and scrap velvet and linen. He paired it with various band-collared shirts, and assorted trousers. He even likes wearing it with his punk-kilt.

        Look for an awesome vest; it's often a good place to start.