1131My review of Sutro's Glass Palace

  • Terry Sofian
    Jun 30, 2014
      I've actually been to the ruins and have used the original structure as the setting for a period adventure for a role playing game. This book provides an wonderful exploration of this amazing and long vanished locale. This would be a book worth getting at twice the price and it having a purchase price so reasonable (might I even say cheap) makes owning it even more delicious. This is a perfect Victorian setting for historical fiction, Victorian Science Fiction or Steampunk, depending upon your inclination.

      As I said below in my Amazon review this is a marvelous book and worth getting for many many reasons!

      Terry Sofian

      5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning Treatment of a Stunning Subject,  June 30, 2014
      By
      Terry Sofian "tsofian" (St Peters, MO United States) - See all my reviews
      (REAL NAME)

      This review is from: Sutro‚Äôs Glass Palace (Paperback)
      Sutro Baths was one of the wonders of the West Coast when it was built. To this day it is one of the largest indoor swimming complexes ever constructed. It has been all but forgotten since it was destroyed by fire in 1966. Now almost fifty years later Hole in the Head Press has published John A. Martini's truly excellent work on the complex. Not only has Martini written a wonderful history of the building and the activities that took place within it, but his text is supported by a large number of period and current pictures. The illustrations by Lawrence Ormsby are simply stunning. Between these three descriptive tool the baths are brought back to life in a way I had always hoped I would be able to get my hands on. Getting all of this for less than the cost of two large pizzas makes it even more appealing. I recommend this book to those interested in San Francisco history, the Victorian in general, and those who have a fascination with swimming and amusement complexes.

      This is a simply wonderful volume. It is written with intelligence and passion, well researched and beautifully illustrated with both photos and amazingly detailed 3D graphics. I can't think of a reason NOT to own a copy of this!